BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Battery warning light

More
13 Oct 2019 16:42 #214701 by PHB1969
My Jimny doesn’t get used a lot so the battery had lost charge.
I did jump start it and then after doing 90 miles, the following morning, wouldn’t start. Stuck it on an optimate and got error lights suggesting a shorted cell.
Ordered a replacement battery and fitted Saturday morning.started ok and left it running a while - about 20-30 minutes.
In the evening, started it up and fitted replacement air horn.
Went in the car and the battery warning light was on.

The car was idling, I revved it and the light went off, but returned as the revs dropped back to idle.

So.....assume it’s not battery (brand new Varta - apparently exactly the same as the Bosch that came off it).

So is this likely to be a slipping belt or an alternator?

Any ideas please.

Thanks Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2019 16:51 #214702 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Battery warning light
Alternator.

Try removing the brush pack and see if there is a seized brush (wishful thinking), and make sure that all the connections are clean & tight.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PHB1969

More
13 Oct 2019 16:57 #214703 by PHB1969
Replied by PHB1969 on topic Battery warning light
Thank you - half expecting new alternator. It’s a 53 plate manual. Do all models fit?

More
13 Oct 2019 17:24 #214705 by PHB1969
Replied by PHB1969 on topic Battery warning light
Have just tried adjusting the alternator drive belt - ie loosening the top bolt on the adjustment arm and moving the alternator downwards to add tension to the belt.

It now doesn’t come on until 1,000 rpm rather than 1250 rpm.....is it possible the belt needs changing or further adjustment - not a huge amount more adjustment left and I don’t want to overdo it and risk damaging or snapping it....

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Oct 2019 09:26 #214731 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Battery warning light
Ensure you have the correct belt as they do differ in length. Don't quite understand your entry "it now doesn't come on until 1000rpm rather than 1250rpm". From cold when you start the engine revs will dictate that the light will be out if all is working OK. As engine reaches normal operating temp the revs will drop to the prescribed idle speed and the light should stay off. The best way to check the output is to use a meter set to volts and connect across the battery ensuring the red cable goes to the positive terminal and read the voltage. Should be 14 volts range.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds