BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Replacement soft top

More
12 Oct 2019 17:29 #214676 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Replacement soft top
That explains why I got it wrong, assumed it was the same.
See what you mean with above bars, interesting to see some photos with the fabric off the bars, but in a closed position. Could be correct with the bending solution, but as you say proceed with caution and involve monsoon if it looks incorrect. Pity we can't put new and old frame next to each other for comparison.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2019 18:20 - 12 Oct 2019 18:20 #214677 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Replacement soft top

Scimike wrote: Pity we can't put new and old frame next to each other for comparison.

Yes - I totally agree; I think that would really show where the problem actually is.

Its not a clear photo - but this is how my side-arms "land" on the header-bar - they remain straight. Simply welded on
There appears to be a bend in the Monsoon one at the point the tube is flattened. Of course, there may be a reason for that, that I'm not aware of, but it looks wrong.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Oct 2019 18:20 by Max Headroom.

More
12 Oct 2019 22:10 - 12 Oct 2019 22:37 #214681 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Replacement soft top
I can see what you mean from the photos, it does look wrong and would introduce the side lift you can see if the fabric is resting on the arms.
I would go for bending to make it fit better, but as you say you need to grip the tube to prevent the rivets / fiberglass failing. Again this assumes there is no obvious reason for the difference that we can't see in the photos.
But then that's me, I tend to fettle aftermarket parts if the fit is iffy on the assumption the replacement part will be the same. Not the correct way, better to tell the manufacturer something's wrong so it can be corrected, but I do tend to get the "no one else has issues" answer on the odd occasion I have done so.

JC - sorry I've not been any help, just trying to understand how it works on the Jimny.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 12 Oct 2019 22:37 by Scimike.

More
12 Oct 2019 23:09 - 12 Oct 2019 23:27 #214682 by Max Headroom

Scimike wrote: ...better to tell the manufacturer something's wrong so it can be corrected, but I do tend to get the "no one else has issues" answer on the odd occasion I have done so.

I know exactly where you're coming from with that comment Scimike! - I've just had a proper ball-ache of a job getting the fuel tank straps and rear wheel carrier fitted to the vintage MG.
The guy that made and sold me the assembly (Rich Hardy) was initially ignoring my emails so I bought it up in the MMM forums - [THIS is the link if you want to read it ] and guess what - my mail box was flooded with disgruntled messages about what a piece of junk they were, from other people that had bought the same item, but his reply was "Well there are no reports of any problems" (the thread goes a bit off-topic in places and there are two pages of it)
One chap virtually de-rivetted the thing and cut it up to rebuild it! Clearly these people didn't want to get involved in the forum debate for fear of upsetting him as he is a supplier of often difficult-to-get parts, but you are right - it's often the stock answer!

Last edit: 12 Oct 2019 23:27 by Max Headroom.

More
13 Oct 2019 09:03 - 13 Oct 2019 09:09 #214690 by Max Headroom
Not sure if this would interest you - I found a complete "early pattern" soft top in Germany.
LOOK HERE

Translation of main description:
Complete fabric hood for the old Suzuki Jimny in good condition!
It has all the parts for the assembly because I have rebuilt on hardtop!
I would assume that includes the targa frame.

Keeping an eye open for a targa frame on its own, though

Possibly one on eBay.... LOOK HERE

Last edit: 13 Oct 2019 09:09 by Max Headroom.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds