BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Fitting the Roof Trim Kit

• Morris1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 13:28 #214103 by Morris1
Fitting the Roof Trim Kit was created by Morris1
Can anyone give me advice on how to attach the roof trim kit please, it seems bit more complicated than just clipping it on.
The back piece seem to go on ok, but the sides are proving difficult.
Do I need new front corners as they seem too small to go with the kit as the long pieces won't fit into the corners.
Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 14:07 #214104 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Fitting the Roof Trim Kit
If you're getting the roof sprayed make this the paint shops problem. They fit various trims all the time. Plastic trim usually needs a bit of trim adhesive and is invariably supplied slightly to long. You apply both ends and the work back towards the middle otherwise in a change of temperature the trim shrinks back and you have gaps.
As these are genuine parts (not accessories) it is assumed trained technicians will do the install, hence no real instructions.
I'm sure Martin can pick the brains of the people who did his to give you a rough guide.
Chris

• Morris1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 14:48 #214108 by Morris1
Replied by Morris1 on topic Fitting the Roof Trim Kit
Thanks for the reply, the trims are solid and push on, no way can they shrink back, Even the factory fitted ones are just clipped on, so you don't use glue. Its a 5 piece kit, exact lengths nothing to cut. The video which shows the trims on Martins car leads you to believe you use the front corner trims and don't need new ones, this isn't true the corners are too small. So that is very misleading.
I'll just leave the roof as it is, not worth the hassle

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 15:32 #214111 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Fitting the Roof Trim Kit
Sorry to hear the thing is proving a pain. When I originally inquired about getting the roof painted neither myself or the spray shop knew this part existed. They seemed happy enough to go ahead so perhaps this part isn't as vital as might first appear.
Sounds like it's one for the loft, I've got all sorts like that.
Chris

• Morris1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 15:43 #214112 by Morris1
Its not Vital Chris, It just finishes the rain channel off. as in the factory ones. The Garage made a bit of a mess painting the rails, so i said i wanted these to cover it up and finish it off. Not a cheap part, which i did contribute to, wasn't paying the full amount as not my fault. However it a nightmare to try and fit, just pushes on, no firm snap or clip can be heard, so I'm not convinced it would stay on anyway...It will be going back for a refund, won't end up up in the loft.
Phil.

More
01 Oct 2019 18:04 - 01 Oct 2019 18:20 #214118 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Fitting the Roof Trim Kit

Morris1 wrote: The video which shows the trims on Martins car leads you to believe you use the front corner trims and don't need new ones, this isn't true the corners are too small. So that is very misleading.

Are you really sure? Suzuki said they were not needed and they fitted the kit in their workshop. I am only replaying what they said when I went to order the parts and they said I did not need the front corners. They have not charged me for the "missing" corners of they were needed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 01 Oct 2019 18:20 by mlines.

• Morris1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 18:46 #214121 by Morris1
Replied by Morris1 on topic Re:Fitting the Roof Trim Kit
I'm absolutely sure as I'm a lot of trouble with my local Suzuki dealer over this. The corners are nowhere near big enough to accommodate the trim. It's impossible to use the corners that come with the car: even my dealer can't do it!

• Morris1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 18:56 #214126 by Morris1
Replied by Morris1 on topic Re:Fitting the Roof Trim Kit
Plus the kit direct from a Suzuki dealer is £143.78. You say on your forum its £160, so perhaps the extra £16.22 is for 2 corners??

More
01 Oct 2019 19:03 - 01 Oct 2019 19:49 #214130 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Fitting the Roof Trim Kit
There is something wrong there, that price to low. The original quote including the corners not needed was around £180

Edit: man maths shows you are quoting from a dealer discount band

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 01 Oct 2019 19:49 by mlines.

• Morris1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2019 08:23 #214162 by Morris1
Martin the price is correct, and the new corners are needed as my dealer has now apologised for the mistake and ordered a pair. Perhaps if you had fitted these yourself you would know that new larger corners are needed.

• rsg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2020 09:33 #223279 by rsg
Replied by rsg on topic Fitting the Roof Trim Kit
Any idea what the part numbers are for the corners? I ordered the 5 parts I thought I needed and have run into the same issue.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds