BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front windows weather strip repair/replace /solved

• noba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2019 20:24 - 16 Sep 2019 22:53 #213582 by noba
Hi all need some advice re the outside weather strip on front windows of 2011 SZ3.
If it is raining i send the windows down when windows come back up still has rain on it not been wiped anywhere.
When windows are up can push a piece of writing paper all the way along without any resistance between window and the outside rubber strip.
Can the strip be repaired or seal improved should i just fit new ones.
If i need new strips could i do it myself also would someone please tell me the correct name for the strip and or the part numbers where would i buy them.
The inside strips seem really good you can see the window push them aside when coming up.
Thanks
Last edit: 16 Sep 2019 22:53 by noba.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Sep 2019 02:35 #213590 by Lambert
Dreadnaught is the same age and even when new the outer seals hardly touched the glass. I have considered swapping them but given that they weren't great to start with I haven't bothered to much.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 Sep 2019 06:26 #213593 by Scimike
Our 2009 is the same, sending the window down then up fails to remove water as the outer seal does not touch the glass that much. Maybe they are all the same even from new?
Anyway I push lightly against the glass as it's on the way up, this is enough to make it wipe against the seal. Easy enough to do as you can reach both sides from the drivers seat from within the Jimny.
As it's a before I drive action it's good enough for me, so never considered changing them.
All the best
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
17 Sep 2019 08:08 #213598 by facade
If they press firmly on the glass, any grit on the seal scribes a vertical line on the window :ohmy:

It never occurred to me to change them on my 18 year old Gen3, the bottom of the door wasn't rusty, and water never got inside the car, and as said above, a light press on the glass would wipe it if I wanted.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• noba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2019 17:48 - 17 Sep 2019 17:50 #213623 by noba
Thanks all for your replies, looks like my jimny is as it should be so will not be having new weather strip.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2019 17:50 by noba.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2019 18:43 #213627 by Daniel30
There is a few good glass sealants that will make the rain run off a bit better so it's not so bad.

• noba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2019 19:26 #213634 by noba
Thanks Daniel30 if you would please give me the names of a couple of them sealants.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2019 20:16 #213637 by Daniel30
Have a look at clean your ride website really helpful bloke Andy and he sales samples do you can try them out before buying the full size version. I have a few up the shed so I'll have a look tomorrow :)

• noba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2019 19:12 #213725 by noba
Daniel30 sorry i not reply earlier but real life got in the way my lady was rushed to hospital.
Anyway thanks for the clean your ride website tip.Had a quick look this morning it sure has loads of cleaning products i shall spend a bit more time on the site later tonight.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2019 19:59 #213727 by Daniel30
No worries hope she is OK :)
The Klin drying towels are brilliant ;)

• Frub
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Apr 2021 17:06 #234760 by Frub

Hi all. The nearside weather strip on my 2004 Jimny is broken. Could someone please advise me how to replace it? 
Thanks in advance. 
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds