BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Gen 4 wheel upgrade

More
31 Aug 2019 10:42 #212908 by amtech1
Gen 4 wheel upgrade was created by amtech1
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know of any Gen 4 jimnys around with aftermarket steel wheels on? Im looking at getting a set of 15 x 7 module steel wheels for my 215 75 15 KO2 tyres to be fitted to. Instead of using the standard alloys as want to have the standard tyres refitted and have them as spares.
Im mainly after information on the offset that is required without the use of spacers.
The wheels come in the Suzuki PCD of 5 x 139.7mm with a 108.7 Centre bore
The offsets available are:-
ET-30
ET-15
ET 00
ET10
Cheers for the help guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2019 11:11 - 31 Aug 2019 11:20 #212909 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Gen 4 wheel upgrade
Hello amtech,

I’m looking at doing the same thing. Jimny bits & 4x4 wheels and tyres offer great packages for the tuff torque steel wheels. Use this wheel offset calculator to help make your decision. The standard SZ5 wheel is ET22 and 5.5 inches wide. My recommendation would be ET0 or ET10, this would ensure that the wheel is no closer to your suspension & wheel arch than the standard set up.

tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/
Last edit: 31 Aug 2019 11:20 by DAGZOOK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amtech1

More
31 Aug 2019 11:40 #212911 by amtech1
Replied by amtech1 on topic Gen 4 wheel upgrade
Thanks DAGZOOK,
Those were the two sizes i was looking at but wasn't sure if anyone had fitted a set already. Probably be going for the et0 set.
Thanks again.

More
31 Aug 2019 14:26 #212915 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Gen 4 wheel upgrade
Take a look at Daz's 'my jimny thread' it's on the 3rd page I think. He fitted some black steelies that look similar to the tuff torques. I think he talks about sizing etc :)

More
31 Aug 2019 14:42 #212916 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Gen 4 wheel upgrade
Have you asked a dealer? They could well have some steels taken off an SZ4. They will typically expect good money but I know that eventuality they gather dust and they end up giving them away (first hand experience!)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
31 Aug 2019 20:11 #212923 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:Gen 4 wheel upgrade
Don't forget you need a set of tyre pressure monitors as well, or I believe you can get an eliminator, but I wouldn't like to have an insurance assessor spot one of those and claim that I had a soft tyre that caused the accident. No doubt disabling the TPMS gives them a chance to wheedle out of paying.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2019 05:12 #212926 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Re:Gen 4 wheel upgrade
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationTPMS emulator on ebay

Works great on a Jim4 and about £60
Chris

More
01 Sep 2019 18:16 #212939 by amtech1
Replied by amtech1 on topic Re:Gen 4 wheel upgrade
Thanks for all the info guys I will probably be purchasing new sensors for the wheels anyway so I can just swap the wheels straight over to avoid issues with insurance as tyre pressure monitor systems are now tested in MOTs from 2012 vehicles onwards. I’ve already pulled the tyres down in work and checked what sensors are required I’ll post up a picture if anyone else is interested
Attachments:

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2019 18:34 #212940 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Re:Gen 4 wheel upgrade
Sorry Amtech,
You can't just add sensors, your dealer has to program them to the car. Your spare has a sensor in it but the car won't recognise it (only four sensors on this system).
If you get a puncture and put the spare on your dash lights up orange and tells you to get TPMS checked. MOT doesn't check sensors it checks system error light so an emulator is a more realistic solution. I have read that removing the the sensors and packing them under the rear seat squab also works (haven't tried that).
Hope this helps, Chris

More
01 Sep 2019 21:20 #212952 by amtech1
Replied by amtech1 on topic Re:Gen 4 wheel upgrade
I work in a dealership (not Suzuki) so have the software and special tools to program the sensors. I’m also a qualified MOT tester and we have to check that the tpms warning light isn’t on as you described and a eliminator would work. Packing the sensors in the car won’t work due to they sense pressure and won’t be seeing the pressure they require unless they are placed in something at the pressure but they also require motion to activate e.g wheels rotating. I’ll probably just swap the sensors due to I have access to a tyre machine over with new valve stems if they are required due to when removed from old wheels the rubber sealing washer can get damaged and leak. Cheers for the help from everyone.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds