BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear axle problems

• Simonjimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2019 22:21 #212600 by Simonjimny
Rear axle problems was created by Simonjimny
Hi all.. Just picked up my first Jimny tonight a 2003 with 130k. Its fitted with chunky tyres and wider alloys but nothing stupid & also looks to have a sus lift kit of around 2". Just had a full mot put on where it needed the rear brakes adjusted for this.. Mot history shows last year it needed the rear axle sorted as it had leaking oil from both axle ends (unsure of how this was sorted but i guess just new seals)..
Anyways.. all was good on the way home until 20miles in it felt like it had a rumble almost like a loose propshaft or something.. This got worse as i got closer to home. I could then feel a knotch/kick when braking through the pedal.. and could smell the axle oil. When getting home i've since found that the axle oil is dripping out of the drivers side drum.. it was the same if it was coasting or under load etc. Slower speeds were worse that high.

Would i be right in thinking it could just be a dead wheel bearings and seal?? Or possible a broken diff? Needless to say i know its going to need new brake shoes..
Any advice would be great.
Cheers guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Aug 2019 05:38 #212602 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Rear axle problems
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have a bad bearing. They are available from the bigjimny store and have a fitting guide in the wiki section at the top of the page.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simonjimny

More
29 Aug 2019 10:09 #212821 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Rear axle problems
Yep, I suspect that they only replaced the leaking oil seal and not the bad bearing that was causing it to leak.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Simonjimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Sep 2019 14:47 #213135 by Simonjimny
Replied by Simonjimny on topic Rear axle problems
Hi. I've fitted the new bearings kit.. more or less the same to fix as past 4x4s i've had.. the problem was a really dead bearing then trashed the seal so glad thats now sorted but the wheel flange has play 'in and out' (no side to side play) of about 1 or 2mm is this normal????
I've torqued everything up and everything went together well without any problems.

More
04 Sep 2019 16:33 #213137 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Rear axle problems
There will be some axial play, as it is a single row ballrace without preload, 2mm sounds excessive though, compare it with the other side.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
04 Sep 2019 18:04 #213148 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Rear axle problems
Did you fit genuine or Big Jimny supplied bearings or something from a high street bearing supplier?

Just seen an article in Practical Classics that states you need C2 spec bearings (should be marked C2) for wheel bearing applications as it has reduced clearance to remove any play. Bearing suppliers could provide the equivalent C3 spec which have enhanced clearance, unless you ask for C2, this can result in play even when new. Not Jimny specific and something I was not aware of, just thought this was a good place to share.

I have no way of knowing if this is fact or fiction, but maybe when you have eliminated everything else worth a check?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Simonjimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Sep 2019 18:41 #213149 by Simonjimny
I used Blue Print / Ferdinand Bilstein from my local.. nothing on the box to say if they are c2 or 3 but it does say made in Japan. I remember my bearing shop saying anything china made bearing wise stay well way but jap & euro stuff is fine.

• Simonjimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Sep 2019 18:43 #213150 by Simonjimny
That makes sence.. I just put a set of claipers next to it and its about 1mm or just under.. other sides dead so has loads of play

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds