BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fan belt snapped again!

More
19 Aug 2019 21:19 #212330 by Fossie
Tonight my Phone rang ....only happens when there is a problem . :dry:
My daughter was sat at the side of the road with steam coming from the bonnet and the battery light on! There was a pop noise ...a bit like a cork blowing off. I suggested this was the expansion bottle lid hitting the bonnet ...which it was ...and yes the fan belt has disappeared ...AGAIN.
Anyway she was only 5 miles from home , so waited for a while added water and limped home. 54 plate Jimny by the way so M16 engine?
The same thing happened a few months ago.....
The fanbelt ...or something squeaks on damp days on start up, but is correctly tensioned and was checked by the garage last week when a new clutch was fitted.
I have read on here about flanges breaking up on the crank pulley , I suspect this to be the issue as the 2 belts on it will try to run against each other under load straining one..
How easy is it to attain a new pulley
Is it fianacially feasible for a young lady groom to employ a garage mechanic to do?
Is there any one in the high Wycombe area who is able or recommended to help a damsel in distress again.:P
I'm in Manchester so can only diagnose over the phone for now......but a gap where the belt was in self explanatory ;)

On a foot note as a father it is nice to know that while she was sat in the bus stop with the bonnet up , a chap stopped to see if he could help, she had it in hand but Eitherway Chivalry lives.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Aug 2019 02:56 #212336 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Fan belt snapped again!
A replacement pulley is available for sensible money from the bigjimny store. Fitting goes one of two ways. Either the crank bolt comes out relatively easy with a heavy impact gun or you're going to be cutting it into bits with a slitting disk in a grinder. Either way it is easier with the radiator and air conditioning condenser out of the way so there's room to work. Quite labour intensive so not cheap at a garage.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Aug 2019 07:37 #212348 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Fan belt snapped again!
Does it have aircon? If not, radiator removal is no big deal.

Getting the bolt out can apparently be tricky as mentioned above but I think you are right to think it needs doing.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fossie

More
20 Aug 2019 19:10 #212411 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Fan belt snapped again!
Cheers, no air con ...so a bit easier.....she contacted the garage who checked th fan belt last week when they did clutch....
Just waiting for her to get back to me for results .....Bank holiday plans for us on hold .....that said her local pub does good grub and ales!

More
21 Aug 2019 20:53 #212473 by Fossie
Ok so she is mobile again.
She drove it to princes Risbourgh, to the local garage , where they checked the pulley and found it fine, however the water pump was not at its best with regards to probably not working!
So fitted new one along with belt and labour £179...
To be honest £80 for pump , £25 for belt £70odd in labour seems fair enough.

• Podge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2019 21:58 #212479 by Podge
Replied by Podge on topic Fan belt snapped again!
I'd hope that was genuine Suzuki parts.

I got two Conti drive belts (PAS/Aircon and Alternator) and water pump for £52.99 from my local Eurocarparts.

More
21 Aug 2019 22:27 #212480 by Fossie
I know what you mean ,As far as I know they came from the local Suzuki dealer.....however even if they are from the garages supplier , he did the job very quickly and saved me a tank of petrol there and back, a day searching for parts ....priceless!!!

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds