BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Which Winch would you fit?

• Godfather68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2019 06:43 #212111 by Godfather68
Which Winch would you fit? was created by Godfather68
Just in the process of fitting front and rear rescue points on my Gen3v5 which look great, can’t wait to get them on.

I also bought the in bumper invisible winch mounting and was wondering which models people have had good experiences with? There are loads on eBay but I am sceptical about quality and safety.

Any views?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
15 Aug 2019 17:09 #212130 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Which Winch would you fit?
I have a Winchmax 13500 which has proven reliable (apart from the wireless remote, but I dont use that anyway). There is also Goodwinch. Both are apparently UK manufacturers. Winchmax is a fair bit cheaper and slower but does get the job done.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Godfather68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2019 17:37 #212134 by Godfather68
Replied by Godfather68 on topic Which Winch would you fit?
Will take a look at those. Thx.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
15 Aug 2019 17:56 - 15 Aug 2019 17:58 #212136 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Which Winch would you fit?
also... make sure you get synthetic rope rather than steel with alloy hawse to match. Its much safer if anything goes wrong (even the cheap chinese stuff is safer than a badly maintained steel cable from what ive seen)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 15 Aug 2019 17:58 by Riccy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Godfather68

More
20 Aug 2019 09:18 #212374 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Which Winch would you fit?
Crickey, this question often causes a big debate on here. To my mind it all depends on what you want to use it for and how much you plan to use it.

Lots of people who only need a winch just in case for greenlaning when speed is not an issue use Winchmax with no issues.

If you want one for greenlaning and occasional pay and play, Winchmax is still a good choice.

If you're going to use it regularly and / or for heavy use, I'd go straight to Goodwinch and buy their rope, hawes and winch bundle.

You don't need 13000lb but Winchmax winches seem so good value that people buy the more powerful one because they can. Generally the more power they have the slower they are as it's just torque obtained by lower gearing, which equals lower speed, just like 1st gear on your car versus 3rd gear.

There's other brands like Superwinch but to my mind Goodwinch is better and has a cone brake rather than an in the drum brake, to stop heat build up weakening the plasma rope. The price difference is minimal and the aftermarket support from David Bowyer at Goodwinch is second to none.

9000 or 9500lb is an ideal size winch for a Jimny.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Godfather68

• Godfather68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2019 09:26 #212375 by Godfather68
Replied by Godfather68 on topic Which Winch would you fit?
Yep, thinking that the Winchmax will be more than I need. I have access to a mates woodland with some tracks inside it, but it is very hilly, so worried about getting stuck and with it likely just being me and my mate, don't fancy being stuck and alone waiting for a tractor friend to come pull us out!

So no issues with the thing being slow, just need it to be capable and reliable and not too expensive. So currently thinking Winchmax with a separate battery and a synthetic rope are the way I currently plan to go.

Just fitted the Jimnybits front mount and rescue points, so next step in a few weeks will be winch and associated electrics and the winch.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds