BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

JB74 - more power needed

• Wezzz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2019 19:36 #211691 by Wezzz
JB74 - more power needed was created by Wezzz
Hi There!

Since owning a Jimny from march on, i am looking to add some more power...

We bought this little fella to travel around in Europe to find the best surf spots.

When fully loaded to go on a trip, a roodrack with a James Baroud tent on it we have some issues we want to fix.

First of all the power...
(Suspension for heavy load will fix another problem)

Any ideas? Chip, air filter, ...

PS - if it was in diesel I surely bought that one...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Aug 2019 04:25 #211699 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic JB74 - more power needed
I believe there's a company offering a low pressure supercharger kit, can't remember who though. Might i make a suggestion that is probably going to be a bit unpopular. If you are needing to fill up a Jimny to the point that you feel it is lacking power and also needs heavy duty suspension in order to do long distance trips, might it be that you have the wrong vehicle, or are expecting too much of the Jimny? What I mean is that adding a load of weight and power to a Jimny is going to seriously affect its driving characteristics and overall efficiency and reliability. Jimny was designed for being small, nimble on and off road and to be easy to use. It wasn't designed to compete with the likes of a 70 series land cruiser for covering big distances loaded to the top, crushing every obstacle in it's path. Horses for courses etc.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Digger1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2019 06:22 #211702 by Digger1
Replied by Digger1 on topic JB74 - more power needed
I also have the JB74 and do understand that if you add some weight to it either by adding winches rock sliders or other parts that it could probably do with a few more ponies. The problem is that chipping tends to give more power at higher rpms as does fitting a standard turbo. You could try speaking to torqamp.com/#home these people make an electric turbo that can provide more torque at the lower and mid range RPMs. It would not be a cheap option but might suit your purpose.

More
01 Aug 2019 13:34 #211710 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic JB74 - more power needed
Last turbo I fitted to a Jimny spooled up to 15PSI @ around 1200RPM a popular misconception propagated across the internet is that a lag monster is created when adding a turbo to a NA engine......strange.

I tried a turbo on the M16A with 10.5:1 CR.....not happy at all......Compression needs lowering to make use of any boost.....is yours the M15A.....has 11.0:1 CR.....no elbow room.

Supercharger and big mahoosive laggy turbo next for me.
Attachments:

• Digger1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2019 21:18 - 01 Aug 2019 21:48 #211723 by Digger1
Audi are introducing a BI turbo on some of there new cars, it uses and electric turbo downstream of the normal turbo. The electric turbo is only used at lower engine revs until the main turbo takes over. This combination gives a very large gain in torque and horsepower at lower engine revs. The torque amp boost by comparison is only a couple of PSI (I believe) it runs off a independent 48v battery pack which is charged when the turbo is not in use. Based on other cars they have been fitted to I would expect about 20-30hp increase and at least 25% more torque a lot of which is available at very low engine speeds, this could be ideal for the JB74 as it would make it a bit safer on overtaking but not a pocket rocket.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2019 21:48 by Digger1.

More
01 Aug 2019 22:07 #211726 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic JB74 - more power needed

Keithy wrote: I tried a turbo on the M16A with 10.5:1 CR.....not happy at all......Compression needs lowering to make use of any boost.....is yours the M15A.....has 11.0:1 CR.....no elbow room.

New Jimny uses the K15B engine which is a 10:1 CR I believe, so still high and might limit the ability to run forced induction.

• Digger1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Aug 2019 06:21 #211729 by Digger1
You are quite right the compression is indeed 10:1 which means there is just enough wiggle room to limit the boost to keep the dynamic compression at a safe level. Of course there are many factors to take into account, engine tuning has to be spot on and it may require higher octane fuel etc.

I am basically intrigued by the proper electric turbos, can`t afford or justify one, but do like the fact that they are instant full boost. It is new tech and currently seems to work well with superchargers, turbo`s and NA engines.

More
02 Aug 2019 07:01 - 02 Aug 2019 16:31 #211730 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic JB74 - more power needed
I am sure it is possible to get more out of the Jimny engine, but I don't believe the solution is going to be "plug and play".
As with the previous generations improvements may be limited to some very talented individuals working on their own vehicles, or a WET "Wrong Engine Transplant" to gain more power. Lamberts suggestion is a true reflection based on what is available today for the GEN4 (and G3), but my equally unpopular suggestion would be to just live with it, drive slower (you have no choice) and enjoy.
I drive around the uk in our standard 1.3 G3 towing a caravan and it's fine so long as you accept 50-60 mph is it's limit. The queue of cars behind are not in front of me, so result :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 02 Aug 2019 16:31 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

• Wezzz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2019 06:04 #211764 by Wezzz
Replied by Wezzz on topic JB74 - more power needed
Adding a turbo will be step to far.

I was thinking about to remove the catalytic converter.
Will make a better flow on the exhaust.
Combine it with a sport airfilter and a chip (+10hp) will do the work I think.

Anyone already tried to remove this?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Aug 2019 07:23 #211767 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic JB74 - more power needed
Removing the catalytic converter is illegal in many countries and is ethically dubious from an environmental perspective. Many tuning firms claim upto 10 pc is available for the average naturally aspirated petrol engine so I would have a look at that before disturbing the emissions control systems.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Aug 2019 15:24 #211811 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic JB74 - more power needed

Digger1 wrote: I am basically intrigued by the proper electric turbos, can`t afford or justify one, but do like the fact that they are instant full boost. It is new tech and currently seems to work well with superchargers, turbo`s and NA engines.

The electric drive one's do work quite well......got to carry some weight in batteries though.....not sure how long you'd be able to run one continuously though.

You'll have seen the rotrex engine driven superchargers.....they work well!

• Digger1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2019 20:11 #211818 by Digger1
As the new Jimny will be limited in Europe I think I would wait until the Aussies start playing with it. They will add winches, rock sliders, metal bumpers and the like which will be detrimental to performance. I am sure some enterprising people over there will come up with a few solutions over the next year or so.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds