BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fuel Filter Replacement/Problem

More
29 Jul 2019 15:25 #211635 by bryn
I’m not sure where it is, if it has one or its part of the fuel pump but I’m getting a situation which feels like fuel is being staved to the engine. Only temporary and I rev it a few times and it’s gone. Sort of feels like there’s a problem with the fuel pump or filter/reservoir. Plugs where changed a couple of months ago so happy with those.Though Id start with the filter if anyone can point me in the right direction

appreciated
bryn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Jul 2019 16:04 #211637 by Lambert
It's innthe tank. Which you have to remove whole from underneath as there's no access from inside the cabin. Have you confirmed that the plugs are correctly torqued, they can come loose. After that I would start with coil packs and leads.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
29 Jul 2019 18:25 #211642 by bryn
cheers will do

More
30 Jul 2019 19:50 #211669 by Delux
Check the filler neck (under the plastic cover, right hand rear wheelarch)
Crumbly and rusty may indicate rust falling into tank.
Check the plastic fuel pipes and breathers from the top of the tank, rigid plastic is easy to kink/squash, breathers can break off allowing water into tank.
Check fuel pipes arent leaking (just where they curve upwards in front of back axle) mud/salt/dead cats can become trapped here speeding up corrosion.

If you think the problem is fuel starvation you could take the fuel pipe off at the engine and drain some fuel into a glass bottle. Point it securely into the bottle and have an assistant turn the ignition on for a few seconds. You want nice flow of clear fuel. Stuttering flow, bits of rust or cloudy fuel and you will have to find out why.

Obviously follow good safety/common sense when doing this. Trying to do this on your own spraying fuel over a hot engine into a polystyrene cup with a fag on the go probably wont help to diagnose your problem but may remove the need to fix tha car, LOL

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

More
31 Jul 2019 15:33 #211678 by bryn
Thanks

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Aug 2019 15:25 #211741 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Fuel Filter Replacement/Problem
Any updates then ?

More
31 Aug 2019 10:31 #212907 by bryn
Apologies to mickt for not updating but the problem persists and I think feels like only 3 cylinders are firing and not 4, so I have ordered a second hand set of leads and coils from a scrappy.
Ive checked fuel lines plugs etc and nothing. Because its intermittent and lasts for only 5 seconds is very hard to find

bryn

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2019 11:17 #212910 by mickt
Dodgy fitting second hand ignition bits IMHO as they are the weakest link in the system so to speak. I would be looking into the tank myself and I know that means lowering it but that is no big deal really. Yes the connectors at the tank end are awkward to get off. The Suzuki "special tool" is a bit of plastic and is quite flimsy and expensive but the rest is getting it high enough and basic spannering. Best done with as little fuel in the tank as possible. One bonus is whilst it is out you can use the opportunity to check the floor above and clean and paint it all!

More
31 Aug 2019 16:06 #212920 by bryn
Whats the “special tool” I need to sort the tank out with.

Cheers
bryn

More
31 Aug 2019 16:39 - 31 Aug 2019 16:40 #212921 by facade
The fuel lines have quick connectors on, that are virtually impossible to open without a 2p piece of plastic*, shaped like a split top hat, it clips on the thin pipe, pushes into the connector and expands the two clips.
With one, it takes less time to part them than it did to read this.
Without one, you either break the clip, or you have to fiddle with 2 screwdrivers, which isn't easy under the car.

You can get sets of them on eBay.

*Actually, a hand carved piece of unobtanium, that can only be made by one time served craftsman on one of the Moons of Saturn, and hence with all the shipping, Suzuki want a 2 figure sum for it in pounds.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 31 Aug 2019 16:40 by facade.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2019 12:24 #212931 by mickt
The one I got from a Suzuki dealer was a one piece and although it worked it is so flimsy that it could fail as you push. You could just do away with the quick disconnect altogether really and just hose and pipe clamp them after cutting the pipe and then removing the disconnects on the ground during removal. Would work out cheaper too!

More
01 Sep 2019 15:58 #212935 by bryn
I’m hoping its the leads and coils. Removing the tank sounds like grief for just one bloke

bryn

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds