BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Replacing the track rod.

More
27 Jun 2019 13:55 #210360 by bryn
I’m going to replace the track rod with one from a breakers as my old one is bent slightly and could do with a little advice please.
I will get some new tie rod ends ( I think).
I assume that I will put the front end on ramps (so the wheels don’t move) take off the track rod, measure it exactly and the replacement rod with new ends is the exact same size as the old one and replace. Simples?????????????????

OR

Is it worth bending back the old one????????????????

Appreciated

Thanks

bryn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2019 15:00 #210369 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Replacing the track rod.
New tie rod ends are inexpensive Bryn -

Here in the BigJimny store that helps fund this forum -

www.bigjimny.com/store/search.html?searc...=tie+rod&_a=category

The process you describe is correct... use the old bar to setup the #new# bar with new tie-rod ends and replace it.

I've strengthened mine - www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/18-buil...buggy-build?start=12

Or you can buy stronger ones from JB.
Attachments:

More
27 Jun 2019 15:16 - 27 Jun 2019 15:29 #210374 by X8GGY
Last edit: 27 Jun 2019 15:29 by X8GGY.

More
29 Jun 2019 07:36 - 29 Jun 2019 07:38 #210414 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Replacing the track rod.

bryn wrote: I’m going to replace the track rod with one from a breakers as my old one is bent slightly and could do with a little advice please.
I will get some new tie rod ends ( I think).
I assume that I will put the front end on ramps (so the wheels don’t move) take off the track rod, measure it exactly and the replacement rod with new ends is the exact same size as the old one and replace. Simples?????????????????

OR

Is it worth bending back the old one????????????????

Appreciated

Thanks

bryn

Just put the axle on stands and remove the bent rod. Count the turns when removing the old track rod ends from the bent arm and screw the new ones on the same amount.

You'll have to get your tracking done as you'll never get it dead right. This will get it roughly right though.

Don't bend the old one back. It's weakened now.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 29 Jun 2019 07:38 by kirkynut.

More
29 Jun 2019 08:15 #210416 by bryn
Replied by bryn on topic Replacing the track rod.
I have been looking at the RaptorSuzuki Jimny Heavy Duty Steering Rod Bar Arm Track Tie Rod Ends on Ebay for £80

Anyone have knowledge of them please

bryn

More
29 Jun 2019 09:38 #210419 by jackonlyjack
They look the part BUT it doesn't say if the rod end are standard or tapered type
If they're tapered you need the correct size ream to make your hub hole tapered to suit
look on jimnybits trail gear ones come with said ream

Jack

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Jun 2019 04:37 #210448 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Replacing the track rod.
Mine got chewed up bu a garage attempting to set my tracking one time. I bought a new genuine one from Suzuki on the basis of wanting to not have to remanufacture tapered fittings etc and then being beholden to a specific small parts supplier in the future. The more standard it is the wider the pool of parts being readily available.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
30 Jun 2019 06:42 #210452 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Replacing the track rod.

Lambert wrote: Mine got chewed up bu a garage attempting to set my tracking one time. I bought a new genuine one from Suzuki on the basis of wanting to not have to remanufacture tapered fittings etc and then being beholden to a specific small parts supplier in the future. The more standard it is the wider the pool of parts being readily available.

Landcruiser 80 series rod ends on the trailgear bars. I would guess worldwide there are a lot more of the Toyota vehicles about than Jimnys so hoping supplies will be about for years, that and they are so huge compared to Jimny ones that they should last a fair while :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
05 Jul 2019 09:16 #210661 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Replacing the track rod.
Just stick with a standard steering rod and ends. You're the first person I've ever heard of to damage one, so the chances of you doing so again is unlikely.

Also, you'll just pass the damage onto the next weakest point, which will likely be harder and more expensive to fix.

We update panhard rods on Jimnys because they are like cheese straws but generally not the steering bars.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds