BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Removing Rubber Bushes from Radius Arms

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
19 Jun 2019 19:25 #210141 by X8GGY
Just in case it helps someone ;)

I took photos today of removing rubber bushes from my front radius arms for the buggy build, but didn't include them in the build thread, but I thought I might as well put them up as it may help someone searching?...

Ok, front radius arms off -

With a decent sharp drill bit (I used a 12mm) drill through the rubber on each bush -

And then heat the steel insert with a blow torch, we're not aiming to burn the rubber, more to seperate the insert from the bush, so aim the cone of the flame into the insert sleeve on each side for about a minute...

Then quickly, while it's still hot, give the insert a stout blow with a hammer so that it pops through the bush -

And tjem turn the arm over and grab the insert with a pair of mole grips and wrestle it out - again whilst it's still hot

So we end up with -

So weve now got a couple of holes to work with -

Now we can move to a vice and insert a hacksaw blade through the big hole where the insert was -

We can then cut the sleeve and knock the casing out :)

Repeat another five times and we get -

Wire brushed and ready for painting and new bushes....

Hope that helps someone out there?

Dave B)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2019 20:43 #210142 by Reason2doubt
That's brilliant - I'm currently looking into doing this as I have realised mine are all cracked and falling apart.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Jun 2019 04:23 #210148 by Lambert
Good write up there Dave. The first time I had to do one of these it took me half a day fighting to get the old one out and then wind the new one back in with some threaded bar. I decided it was a waste of my life. I now have a press and could do all 12 bushes in half a day if I needed to.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
20 Jun 2019 05:31 - 20 Jun 2019 05:49 #210150 by X8GGY
I'm a cheapskate Lambert ;( That took me three hours with a tea break 'v' investing in a press I'd use once (a year?)

This is my puller -

Again on the cheap! On the day I needed it I couldn't find a bolt long enough, didn't want to rush out and source some threaded bar so I welded two bolts together :lol:

Rears were done ages ago before I fell ill -

Dave ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Jun 2019 05:49 by X8GGY.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Jun 2019 06:06 #210151 by Lambert
Having all the farm equipment as well as a usual minimum of 3 different cars to look after, time starts to become rarer than money! The press has already paid for itself.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Jun 2019 09:19 - 20 Jun 2019 09:26 #210156 by yakuza
Great post, pictures is allways a win. I tend to forget to take them as things happen..

I usually romantisize my memories but i think I just pressed mine out with a hydraulic press, with no problems..
I would not dream of bying a hydraulic press. I think. But I have access to one at work.
However I think I saw a press made from a bottle jack in a frame of some sort to put atop a work bench. Looked cheap and still functional.

edit here it was: www.mistrymaketool.com/post_detail.aspx?nrand=Hz11zU

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2019 09:26 by yakuza.

More
22 Jun 2019 13:51 - 22 Jun 2019 13:52 #210204 by raLLe

My Instagram - wanderlust_jimny
Last edit: 22 Jun 2019 13:52 by raLLe.

More
22 Jun 2019 20:12 #210219 by gv42
did the rear sticks today, easier with Press ,thanks for the guidance !
Attachments:

More
23 Jun 2019 06:23 #210220 by paul2u
i made good use of my hydraulic log splitter and pushed them all out and inn

More
24 Jun 2019 21:13 #210288 by kirkynut
I just drilled holes all the way round the rubber, the rubber falls out and then cut the outer band with a hacksaw blade and knock the band out.

Fire is fun though!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
13 Dec 2020 14:49 #230884 by Dirtbird
Paul did you have to do anything special to make the log splitter work, a great idea by the way.

J

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Dec 2020 17:28 #230885 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Removing Rubber Bushes from Radius Arms
On the original post his hacksaw use to split the bearing resulted in it cutting into the arm as he overcut it. That can lead to the arm failing!

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds