BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Engine sometimes runs on 3 cylinders ??

• Ram1976
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2019 00:39 #210120 by Ram1976
Looking for some advice please lads ,

I’ve got a 2002 Jimny and recently it’s been running quite rough but only occasionally , at first I thought it was crap in the fuel tank as it did it when it was really low , sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders stuttering etc etc , so I put some fuel in her and gave her a run and it seemed to clear said problem , she had been sitting for a week and that was as soon as I fired her up , now she seems to be ok when starting but after a while at really low revs she stutters until higher up the Rev range and then she is fine ?! ... any ideas would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

Ramsay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Jun 2019 04:40 #210124 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. When was the car last serviced? I would start with a thorough service if it wasn't recent and do oil and filters and plugs. If it persists then plug wires and coils. Simple things first.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Ram1976
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2019 08:13 #210127 by Ram1976
Replied by Ram1976 on topic Engine sometimes runs on 3 cylinders ??
Thanks for the reply , it had an oil and filter change last October not sure if the plugs got changed , will give that a try . Thank you :-)

More
19 Jun 2019 08:25 - 19 Jun 2019 08:27 #210128 by yakuza
I problem persist after changing the plugs, try this:
Try removing the lid over the coils and run it without. might cool the coils down so they do not heat up so fast. When it studders, try pulling off the plug wire at the far rear. use gloves or pliers so you do not get shocked. If the car stops you unplugged a working coil/plug.
If the car runs just as bad when you unplug you found the faulty one, then change your coil.

I got a new coil off ebay at approx. 30£
Cost less then your average garage would charge just to find the fault. :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 19 Jun 2019 08:27 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ram1976

More
19 Jun 2019 09:46 #210129 by mlines
The ignition system is "wasted spark" so one coil feeds two cylinders at a time. Therefore a coil issue tends to take out both.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
19 Jun 2019 10:06 - 19 Jun 2019 10:08 #210130 by yakuza

mlines wrote: The ignition system is "wasted spark" so one coil feeds two cylinders at a time. Therefore a coil issue tends to take out both.

I know but my lazyness prevented me from starting to ask wether it runs on two or three.
The difference is not obvious unless you start to unhook the plug leads, and unhooking the one with coil on it is not so straight forward :)

Edit; Might try to listen for, or in the darkness try to look for, a grounding spark from the plug wire as well, and/or try to change the plug wires.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 19 Jun 2019 10:08 by yakuza.

More
24 Jun 2019 21:21 #210289 by kirkynut
Have you popped a code reader on it?

Sometimes codes get stored but no engine management light comes on. It might narrow it down to a cylinder and that coil plug could be breaking down but not fully failed yet.

I had similar on my Beemer a month or so ago.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds