BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Clang from drivetrain

More
21 May 2019 16:42 #208592 by RogersJimmy
My 2001 Jimny has just started to make a clanging noise when pulling away in first or reverse. (in 2wd)

It doesn't do it if starting off gently in 2nd .

Gear changes have to be made carefully to stop the noise occurring, and the car travels normally once in gear up to 60 mph (I don't go any faster).

I suspect the rear propshaft UJ and indeed I can detect some movement in it when checking by hand, but it doesn't seem terminal yet. But would the collective wisdom be that it is probably the culprit and it is echoing along the drivetrain?

There only seems to be one Hardy Spicer UJ on the rear propshaft. What form of joint is on the front end?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 May 2019 17:05 #208599 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Clang from drivetrain
Sounds about right if there is detection of movement. The other potential is the main gearbox mount bush, it will move vertically if it is failing.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

More
21 May 2019 17:11 #208600 by ahtr
Replied by ahtr on topic Clang from drivetrain
Might be worth checking the transfer box mounts, the aluminium parts are known for breaking and the rubber bushes that mount it to the chassis can split. Also worth checking the rear engine/gearbox mount, it's made up of 2 metal plates bonded to rubber, these can separate and cause a fair bit of movement. Can't really tell by looking but if you give the gearbox a good shove from under the car you'll know if it's good or bad.

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

More
23 May 2019 21:49 #208838 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Clang from drivetrain
Check the holes in the mounts for the rear radius arms on both the chassis end and the axle end where the bolts go through. These holes can elongate and as a result the bolts can move a tiny amount in the holes and cause the noise.

If you find this is the case, a washer can be welded to the outside of the hole to give it a round hole again. So it's no big drama.

It could of course be the prop uj or something else but I know this happens, so it is something to check.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
11 Jun 2019 19:27 #209862 by RogersJimmy
Replied by RogersJimmy on topic Clang from drivetrain
Thanks everyone. It was the UJ. Replaced now and all OK.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds