BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Interior/Dome light relay

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2019 05:22 #208238 by Jim Jim
Interior/Dome light relay was created by Jim Jim
Hi Guys,

Would anyone know if the 1999 Jimny3 has an Interior/Dome light relay?
I am trying to find all the relays for this Jimny for some accessories and other electrical installations. Relay types and locations will also help with future diagnostics.

I have seen some info online but man Suzuki is so dodgy with lecky info and specs.
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
18 May 2019 06:21 #208244 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Interior/Dome light relay
Pretty sure the interior light is just negative switched from the door pins. Never hear a relay actuating.

Ive added another in the rear by tapping wires from the existing one and running above the headlining.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Jim

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2019 11:41 #208252 by Jim Jim
Replied by Jim Jim on topic Interior/Dome light relay
Hi Riccy,
They are negatively switched indeed. I figured as much that there was no relay either but thought I would still ask you guys incase it was in some weird location where we cant hear it.

The reason I wanted to know is because i am locating all the wires and relays for an alarm I will be installing. The alarm has dome light supervision but its out put is 200mA so i will have to install a relay.

I have to look for the head light low beam relay too, man Suzuki is all over the place with relays with the Jimny's.

While I am it I will install led lights overhead and i the boot area too. Thanks for the reply Riccy.
Cheers.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
18 May 2019 16:36 #208274 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Interior/Dome light relay
Your welcome,

Im pretty sure there will only be relays near the battery and near the drivers knee. I know theres nothing back of the dash as ive been playing with those wires today. They run up the floor sides and cross over around the handbrake area (along with the rear screenwash pipe). This is on Ulysses. I will take some pics tomorrow and update that, they will show where the wires are under the seats.

High/low beam might not be relay controlled either, but i havent looked into that other than to know its negative switching again.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
18 May 2019 23:41 #208299 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Interior/Dome light relay
Riccy is correct. Neither the dome light nor the headlights have relays. The headlights are a little surprising to me. I believe he is also correct about the locations of the relays.. Smart guy this Riccy fellow.

I'm curious if the installation instructions for the alarm call for a relay. I am a fan of relays but 200mA is only 2/10 of an Amp. That's not a lot of load to add to an existing circuit that isn't already near its limit. You certainly have more information about the system so there may be a whole lot more to the story. I would definitely go with whatever the instructions say.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy, Jim Jim

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2019 12:23 #208475 by Jim Jim
Hi zukebob,
Thanks for the reply and information. I am very surprised that the Suzuki did not install relays for the lights, that's unreal. Looking at the gauge of wires coming from the light switch, I was almost sure that they would have had relays somewhere for the head lights.
They made these Jimnys so cheaply and cut so many corners with them, it amazes me. I owned most BMWs all my life and remember even from 1984 models, they packed everything into them and the electrics were so easy to work on, my 1999 Jimny lacks so much lol.

I will install LED headlights and though their current draw will be a lot lower than the incandescent lights, I will still install 4 relays for the head lights. I will install a smaller one for the dome light to for the alarm supervision and trigger input. I intend to install LED auxiliary lights in the bumper along with a relay too.
Thanks again zukebob for the reply.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2019 12:25 #208476 by Jim Jim
Forgot to add, Riccy seems to be a great and knowledgeable guy here too, the guys here seem very helpful and friendly on this board.
Cheers

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds