BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Power to the Speedo dead in the tropics

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2019 14:42 #208121 by Jim Jim
Hi Guys,

I bought a 1999 Jimny 3 hard top with the G13BB engine. It was hit at the back but other wise in great condition rust wise, engine was rebuilt etc.

The speedometer is dead while all the tach and other gauges work. I have read posts where the guys with the same issue disconnected the battery, however this Jimny had a disconnected battery for over a year and I still did the reconnect and disconnect suggestion with no success.

I would like to know where to start doing some diagnostics, do you guys know where I should start from. since the instrument has so no power , would you guys know which pin out from the ecu or other pin out which is responsible for the powering up of the speedo?

I would like to change all the fluids, but on the Wiki page there is the word "Never" next to some of the transfer, rear and front differential gear oil specs, can anyone tell me what was the contributor referring to? You can see it here when you scroll to the Jimny 3 oil specs www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit...vals_and_consumables

Thanks so much and this is a great site.
Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 May 2019 15:23 #208124 by Lambert
The never refers the Suzuki manual suggesting that the various bits are filled for life as it were. But in reality it is sensible to change them periodically.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2019 15:26 #208125 by Jim Jim
Replied by Jim Jim on topic Power to the Speedo dead in the tropics
Would you guys also know if the Jimny 3 right side power window motor fits the Jimny models to 2017 or there about? Mine in the 1999 Jimny is bad and we cant seem to find new ones here, so have to seek used for now until I can import one.

Thanks.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2019 15:44 #208129 by Jim Jim
Thanks Lambert.

I had a BMW performance garage in Canada and could never understand the transmission oil for life idea.

Oil breaks down over time and with heat, I have been to a number of oil technology seminars, cant get my head around that oil for life at all.

I am in the process of rebuilding a Land Rover Defender and did the entire oil research for whats best out there for these older models, so many variances out there too.

Thanks for your reply and for helping to maintain this great website and forums.

Cheers.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
16 May 2019 16:45 #208135 by Riccy
For the speedo I would start at the speedo sensor on the transfer box and work back towards the dash from there. Small plug with a sensor next to a toothed wheel on the rear output of the t-box. 3 wires I think

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Jim

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 May 2019 00:28 #208159 by Jim Jim
Hi Riccy, thanks for the reply and tips.

I managed to remove the instrument cluster bezel quite easily, just remove the 2 counter sunk Phillips head screws just above the cluster and gently pull the bezel towards you, it has clips which pops out easily.

To remove the instrument cluster, remove the 4 pan head Phillip screws from the 4 corners of the cluster, tilt and pull the cluster towards you.

It took me a while to unclip the connectors, I realized that you have to bring the cluster as far out as you can and in the same horizontal position, reach around the back and press the locking tabs down firmly and pull the connectors out squarely. Be careful with the contact membrane, it can break or tear easily.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 May 2019 00:38 - 17 May 2019 00:41 #208160 by Jim Jim
Looking at the back of the instrument cluster, there are 4 screws which also acts as the connection from the printed membrane to the speedometer. From what I have seen online (I still have to look at circuit diagrams) there is a yellow/green stripe wire which seems to be the signal wire and a white one on the the side.

I am assuming that the speedometer is triggered by a toothed wheel as Riccy said which more than likely means it input signal is a square wave. I will hook up my oscilloscope to the yellow/green stripe wire and have someone drive the Jimny to see if a signal is coming up.

The other thing that is an issue is the LCD ODO is blank as well which makes be believe there is a power issue with the Speedo and not a signal input, or the speedo is toast.

The two pics below shows the wires and connection on the printed circuit on the membrane, I took these as a reference and for those who might need them.
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 May 2019 00:41 by Jim Jim.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 May 2019 00:55 - 17 May 2019 00:55 #208161 by Jim Jim
Did the Suzuki Engineers really think that every Jimny owner is a contortionist, you have to be if you are hoping to look at the fuse box and all that's under there :ohmy:

There is a connector and some relays under there, I have numbered them, can anyone please tell me what their respective purposes are? I could have felt them or listed to them while turning on hazard lights etc., now thinking about it, but its so dreadfully awkward to look at anything there.

I am thinking the connector #1 might be air bag related which my Jimny does not have.

Thanks.
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 May 2019 00:55 by Jim Jim.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 May 2019 04:26 #208164 by Lambert
On both my diagnostic devices I get a vehicle speed output from the ecu have you plugged into the obd2 port to see if you are getting the reading from the computer. It should help determine if the problem is between the transmission and ecu or between the ecu and cluster?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 May 2019 06:49 - 17 May 2019 06:50 #208170 by Max Headroom
Not intended to be an unhelpful solution - but would trying a bigger hammer do it? :lol: :ohmy:

A colleague's car was laid up for a long while - probably well over a year and he had the same thing happen to the speedo.
Using a long piece of wood to reach the guage area a few light but sharp taps freed it up.
It was just stuck

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 17 May 2019 06:50 by Max Headroom.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 May 2019 12:08 #208199 by Jim Jim
Hi Lambert,
I did connect my OBDII stand alone Innova 3100 scanner on the Jimney but it did not recognize the Jimney's OBD protocol and would not connect.

I have a few PC based and Android scanners which I have try, I have Bafx, Veepeak and K+DCAN so hopefully one of these work.
Thanks again for your advice and tips, will let you know what happens.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 May 2019 12:13 #208201 by Jim Jim
HI Max,

All the other gauges work without any issues and I shook the cluster gently and the speedo needle did move so its definitely an electrical issue.

I will hunt the issue down until it works, I will try to find another cluster to see if its a bad speedo too.

I will test for continuity from the transfer box to the speedo connector as well.
Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds