BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2019 Jimny SZ5 head lights

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Apr 2019 12:35 #206758 by Crumbs
2019 Jimny SZ5 head lights was created by Crumbs
I have been running my Kinetic Yellow Jimny for over two months now and I have a couple of questions.

It doesn't have the headlamp up/down adgustment for load. Some oncoming drivers flash their lights to tell me that they think I am giving them too much light when I am on dip.
Is thare anything I can do about that?

I did ask a dealer how I changed the head lights to dip the other way if I visited France. I have LED headlamps.
They told me that it was done automatically! Anybpdy had experiense of this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2019 12:53 #206761 by mlines
I think it does have up/down adjustment for load. Take a look above the rear differential, yes rear differential!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
27 Apr 2019 12:55 - 27 Apr 2019 12:57 #206762 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic 2019 Jimny SZ5 head lights
The actual levelling for loads is automatic, there is a sensor on the rear axle I believe. However, I had the exact same problem, when I went back for the 2000 mile check up, I asked them to check and adjust the headlight aim which they did, since then I have not had any flashes from oncoming cars. The headlight units still have adjusting screws on the back just like normal headlights.

Edit:
They said the aim was within limits, but at the very top of the limit, they just tweaked them down a bit. I can tell this from the throw of the beam on a straight road.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2019 12:57 by Soeley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Apr 2019 13:41 #206766 by Crumbs
Replied by Crumbs on topic 2019 Jimny SZ5 head lights
Thank you for your excelent and prompt reply.

Good candidate for setting the beams properly in the production line.

• Terry B
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Dec 2019 18:45 #216407 by Terry B
Replied by Terry B on topic 2019 Jimny SZ5 head lights
Thank you for that information, we have a new Jimny 2019 and have had similar problems with the head lights. We also find that they take a long time to revert to full beam from dipped.

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Dec 2019 20:25 #216413 by Crumbs
Replied by Crumbs on topic 2019 Jimny SZ5 head lights
Hi.
What I have notised is that the load sensor on the rear can be slow to react , even if the load has not changed.

The main beam and the dipped beam shutter are locked together. This means that adjusting the main beam using a beam setter will also adjust the dipped beam.

My dealer has only checked the head lamp setting and has not examined the load sensor.

The load sensor being slow to react to the changing going up or down road inclines gives the following effect.

The dipped beam shutter gives an absolute black and white cut off.

When the dipped beam line is lower than normal, accellorating up to say 20mph gives you a reasonable safety cell of lit road.

From 20 to 30 mph the road is hidden in darkness because no more road is iluminated until the automatic untl the auto man beam cutts in. Your safety cell is no longer adequate.

If you are driving on country roads usung the auto headlamps functon this means that from 20 to 30mph you will nor see the cuclist with no lights and dressed all in back until too late. We have a lot of dear round here with not much road sense.

I have adopted the habbit of changing from auto hadlight mode to manual mode on unlit rural roards with little or no traffic and no street lights. This means that can have the main beam on at any speed.

To change between auto headlights and manual headlights on the go it needs the driver to twist the lighting stalk end switch foward two kliks forward to change from auto to manual and two kliks backwards to change from manual to auto headlights.

Warning: When changing eiher two klicks forward or backwards do not pause in the middle of the double klicks - the lighls all swith off - you are in darkness.

• Terry B
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Dec 2019 08:34 #216418 by Terry B
Replied by Terry B on topic 2019 Jimny SZ5 head lights
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the information about the lights, we live in the country and driving is not fast. I think that we will be using the manual light controls.
Thanks again!
Terry

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds