BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rust behind head-lights access?

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2019 15:25 #206716 by Keirravn
Rust behind headlights access? was created by Keirravn
As per title really. I've found the common corrosion behind the headlights, before I start so I know what I'm in for is there access from below or is the rusted area boxed in?

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2019 15:29 #206719 by jackonlyjack
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keirravn

More
26 Apr 2019 15:49 - 26 Apr 2019 15:51 #206723 by Scimike
You need to remove the front wheel arch liner to see the full extent of that.
The good news is it's easy to remove fthe liner, the bad news is that rust will more than likely extend down the rear of the box section. It's double skinned and traps water....and it's the water drain route for the assembly - dumb design.

But if you have a welder it can be fixed...

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 26 Apr 2019 15:51 by Scimike.

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2019 21:03 #206742 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic Re:Rust behind headlights access?
Daaaaaaammm.

Cheers guys. I do have a welder and metal sheets here so it's not the end of the world. But it is annoying as I already spent some time welding the rear of the vehicle and thought I was about done with the repairs. Ach well. I'll get in about it next weekend

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 May 2019 22:14 - 01 May 2019 22:15 #207088 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic Re:Rust behind headlights access?
Discovered, as suggested I would, much more corrosion. I think it's terminal for both ends of the slam panel. I'm going to leave it right now I just slapped on a load of rust inhibiting paint to slow it down.

Later this year I'll tackle it. I'm thinking of cutting out the area around the body mount and welding in some new C channel or box section metal.

Pics and info from anyone who has done similar much appreciated :)
Last edit: 01 May 2019 22:15 by Keirravn.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 May 2019 04:11 #207092 by Lambert
You can get complete new panels from the bigjimny store. Just drop Martin a message with what you need.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 May 2019 07:00 #207097 by Scimike
Sorry about that, the rot is always worse than it initially looks in this area.
HOWEVER, keep the faith, it can be fixed.
Lambert got the OEM option in replacement of the complete panel. Someone has done it, if my memory is correct only a few spot welds and an easy fix, approx £300?? --- ask Martin.
Others have made their own in box section to replace the rot, I have seen pictures on this forum, i'll try and find them again for you. This also looked a good end result.
So yep forget it and enjoy the Jimny for a bit, can always be done when u feel like it.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 May 2019 09:20 #207104 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic Rust behind headlights access?
Cheers guys. New replacement panel would be nice and easy but it's for a w plate with a bad paint job so the cost would be hard to justify unless there was no other option.

I came across this solution on the forum. I saved the picture in case I can't find the thread again.

More details (once I refund it I'll ask directly) and similar solutions would be really helpful.

I have a welder and can do patch repairs no problem but I've very little experience with fabrication. Though I'll be giving it a go when the time comes :)

I've got my years ticket anyway. Fortunately this area is well hidden ...

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 May 2019 09:21 #207105 by Keirravn
Here -

More
02 May 2019 13:13 - 02 May 2019 13:14 #207116 by Scimike
Yep that's the one I had seen^^^^^^
Real nice fix and a better design than the original being nice and open, no water or rot traps.

When mine give up that's the option I will go for, you cant see it anyway once all the lights and plastics are fitted, so my pigeon poo welding will not be on show :laugh:

Last edit: 02 May 2019 13:14 by Scimike.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
02 May 2019 16:56 #207120 by Riccy
That fix photo is from forum member 'Kiethy'. Talented fella with everything he touches ;-)

Have a look here for a more home-brew approach (for the poorly skilled of the welding world, like me :laugh: )

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/18-build-thread/63372-ulysses

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keithy, Keirravn

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 May 2019 18:26 #207128 by Keirravn
Can't believe I missed that one! Tons of handy pics and a great thread to follow. Cheers for that :)

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds