BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rust behind head-lights access?

More
07 May 2019 07:33 #207478 by Bosanek
What would be the best preventive measure to apply to this area of a Jimny which has not yet developed rust in that area (in order to prevent the rust from developing at all)?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keirravn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 May 2019 08:40 #207481 by Lambert
Either an epoxy paint or as a minimum one of the wax type products.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keirravn

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2019 12:50 #207485 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic Re:Rust behind headlights access?

Bosanek wrote: What would be the best preventive measure to apply to this area of a Jimny which has not yet developed rust in that area (in order to prevent the rust from developing at all)?

It seems to me that they rust from the inside out as the slam panel is not sealed.

Next to the engine mounts there's a drainage hole each side. I'd spray a bunch of wax in there

More
16 May 2019 09:33 #208105 by Bosanek
If they rot from the inside, then the application any rust protection material from the outside will mostly be in vain.

Spraying wax from those entry points near the engine mounts can definitely do no harm, but the question is if it is possible to properly reach those potential rot points from there.

Does it make sense to cut away some sections behind the head lamps in order to expose those inner rot crisis section in order to properly rust proof the area? However I suppose that leaving the section open would not be a wise idea in the long run.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 May 2019 09:57 #208106 by Lambert
Not on a Jimny but a land rover I drilled drain holes in various strategic places in the chassis to help get access to blind sections with a wax spray but also to allow water to escape. The rear cross members of defender chassis are notorious for rotting. Same principle as the behind headlight on a Jimny.

More
18 May 2019 15:57 #208271 by Keithy
Epoxy paint then waxoyl inside....not wondering if it's festering now.

Attachments:

More
18 May 2019 15:59 - 18 May 2019 16:00 #208272 by Keithy
We'll have to sit you down and go over my name some time Riccy... :D
Last edit: 18 May 2019 16:00 by Keithy.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
18 May 2019 16:45 #208277 by Riccy

Keithy wrote: We'll have to sit you down and go over my name some time Riccy... :D

I was referring to your forum name. It makes it easier if someone is searching for your posts to use the name as you spell it on the forum. I do the same with J999pre (James Priestly) and others for the same reason. No offence is intended of course ;-)

I normally go by just Ric (even with that odd spelling) Ric was too short for the forum when I joined so ended up with Riccy (which I hate because it reminds me of eastenders!)

Nice work on the rust proofing BTW :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Lambert
    Registered
More
18 May 2019 19:44 #208287 by Lambert
We did that with a couple of rally minis as a means of protecting the panels from rock damage. We found it was porous and held water like a sponge. We only worked it out after the car kept gaining weight for no obvious reason.

More
19 May 2019 16:25 #208382 by Keithy

Lambert wrote: We did that with a couple of rally minis as a means of protecting the panels from rock damage. We found it was porous and held water like a sponge. We only worked it out after the car kept gaining weight for no obvious reason.

I spent 10 years building WRC and Historic Rally cars......in any of those years I'd have been sacked for doing that lol

• Lambert
    Registered
More
19 May 2019 19:42 #208423 by Lambert
We weren't professional, just lads having a laugh on a budget in our local club. That said I would not entertain it now. Experience, see?

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds