BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Brake disks

More
17 Apr 2019 09:25 #206267 by BGBrit
Brake disks was created by BGBrit
Rotated the tyres today and while I was at it I checked the pads and shoes for wear. Pads had 4.5 mm and the shoes about 3 mm to go. I also noticed the disks were shinny all around but only about 20 mm in width, the pads are much wider than that so obviously the pads are not making full contact. Its just passed the braking test for the mot and I've not noticed poor braking at all. Can anyone tell me if this normal to have only 20 mm surface contact, both disks on both sides are the same.
Cheers
Tony.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2019 09:49 #206270 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Brake disks
Should be full contact. I have saved brake discs sometimes by rubbing off rust and changing the pads. But most times you are better off changing both pads and discs if there is uneven wear.
There is a percentage of minimum area of the disc that can be rusted but not sure if this applies to all countries or how big it is.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BGBrit

More
17 Apr 2019 10:12 #206275 by BGBrit
Replied by BGBrit on topic Brake disks
Yakuza,, Thanks... I have two sets of new pads. They measure 38 mm in width. I'll try and source a couple o' disks locally and fit them soon. I don't think 20 mm is good enough. I just wondered as both were the same and on both sides of the disk this may be normal.
Cheers
Tony.

More
17 Apr 2019 14:21 #206283 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Brake disks
Check that the callipers are sliding well when you change the disks...

sniper

More
17 Apr 2019 14:33 #206284 by BGBrit
Will do sniper... I've got some silicon grease for that..

More
17 Apr 2019 17:37 #206299 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic Brake disks
Red grease is the best

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
17 Apr 2019 19:34 #206306 by BGBrit
Not sure I'll find that over here in Bulgaria maverick,,,, I'll check around though. But silicon I know I do have got to make do sometimes.

More
17 Apr 2019 22:50 #206312 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Brake disks
You can get red rubber grease from the Big Jimny shop I believe and Martin likely ships abroad.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
18 Apr 2019 07:01 #206316 by BGBrit
Yes Kirthynut I know... Martin has sent wheel bearings and stuff for the death wobble, and a top rad hose I needed four years ago to Bulgaria. Before I drove the Jimny over from the UK I picked up some shoes and pads and two disks in anticipation but I only do between 2000 and 2500 miles each year so I still have them along with three sets of spark plugs (I didn't realise I had an iridium set already in)
I'll be over to the UK next spring (March) so I'll pick up some red grease from Martin then and pad/shoe clips, springs etc. I plan also to replace the rubbers and bolts on the calipers next year so the silicon grease is real only a stop gap.
My jimny has to last that's why I'm keeping up with the maintenance and with the help of the knowledgeable people here and my spanners, all is going well so far.
The Jimny had 32,100 miles on the clock Sept '14 and today it has 43700. 2000 miles of that was used up just driving over to Bulgaria.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds