BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Loud grinding noise from front drivers side wheel area?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Apr 2019 11:21 #205952 by Lambert
New one for me. But it definitely sounds like a tyre rubbing and then moving back to rest. Are all the bushes and joints in good order?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MilkyRon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2019 11:39 #205953 by MilkyRon
Haven't checked the bushes and joints yet, will take a look this weekend.

Yeah, I really want it to just be the tyre rubbing (then I have an excuse for the 2" lift)

Anyone have tips on how best to check if the tyre is contacting or any places on the body to check first? When I've checked in the past, I've looked for evidence of either 'clean' bodywork, black marks or obvious grazes around all four wheels.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 Apr 2019 16:56 #205967 by Riccy
I get two things from your video (be easier without the music playing).

1. the noise stops once wheel speed is reduced and steering left or right seems to help.

2. Its not really a rubbing tyre noise. Except as Lambert says if the radius arm bushes are badly worn. That would allow the axle to move a bit and cause wheel rubbing. It would be fairly obvious on the wheel arches where it was catching if thats the case.

Therefore I would assume you need to look at the CV or hub on that side. I would try removing the relevant freewheel hub and see what happens on a test drive (the black bit in the middle of the wheel with star bolts holding it on). That will ensure the hub isnt engaged somehow (stuck maybe?). If that cures it then the CV is most likley the problem (and maybe the hub as well). A goosed wheel bearing can be a bit like this as well, but would be more often that you say it happens.

Hope that helps track it down!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: MilkyRon

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
12 Apr 2019 17:00 #205968 by Riccy
P.S. How does it make the steering feel when it happens? does the wheel shake or pull left/right?
If not then it could be loose trim/bumpers or maybe airbox cover type stuff?

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• MilkyRon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2019 09:04 #205989 by MilkyRon
Hi Riccy.

Other than the noise, there are no other symptoms while it's happening. A very slight bump/shudder can be felt at the time of 'release'

(That last sentence sounded more like a dodgy innuendo than I would have liked)

• MilkyRon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Apr 2019 20:07 #206556 by MilkyRon
The problem has become less common since I've taken both wheels off, removed and cleaned both disks and calipers but still rears it's head occasionally. Haven't had chance to take the hubs of yet, needed the torx drivers first.

After what Riccy suggested I popped the car into 4WD whilst it was making the noise and it immediately stopped. I've done this twice now and both times it stopped the noise. So to my mind, that points to an issue with the hubs? Possibly the collar catching on the driveshaft?

Before I go ahead and start pulling stuff off, am I barking up the wrong tree? Can I just remove the hubs for inspection, cleaning or whatever is required or will I need a gasket or something similar to reseal after?

Sorry for dragging the thread up again, and as always thanks for the help.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Apr 2019 04:25 #206566 by Lambert
They just slip on and off. Don't be tempted to apply a lot of lubricant just a light smear will be ample if it is even needed.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
24 Apr 2019 17:02 #206598 by Riccy
From the suggestion that putting it into 4x4 stops the noise I would assume either the hubs or the transfer box. Hubs as mentioned above, but the t-box uses a solenoid to shift the cogs about, if thats getting stuck in 4x4 then the front shafts would be driven (even if the hub isnt engaged and no 4x4 dash light). Might be over thinking that one.

Perhaps try inspecting the hubs and a light grease/spray. If that cures it great, if not then try removing the front prop for a while. That would eliminate the t-box driving the front shafts/CVs IF thats whats happening.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds