BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Lack of power on M13A engine

• ipop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2019 20:08 #205052 by ipop
Lack of power on M13A engine was created by ipop
For about 4-5 months, I noticed that the engine doesn't have much power. (M13A)

I am not sure if it came after I switched my street tires (13.5kg each, INSA A/T) with a simex profile (about 18kg/each). But still, it shouldn't be much difference.

The consumption is about 17-19L/100km (HUGE, it's like I'm driving a hummer)
The acceleration is very very slow. Only in the 1st gear I'm feeling some power, all others seem very sluggish.
Beside the ABS sensor, there's no error on the diagnosis.

An important thing: even when going down on the road (steep roads), the car slows down - even if it's on neutral !!! (and this is not an engine issue anymore)

What's been changed/investigated until now:
- changed the spark plugs (from old NGK to brand new Denso)
- the engine compression is ok for a 18y old car
- new camshaft sensor
- new crankshaft sensor (very soon)

What should I investigate next (no particular order):
- catalytic converter
- ignition coil
- ignition wires
- lambda sensor

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Mar 2019 20:32 #205053 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are on the right track looking at the catalytic converter as they are prone to disintegrating and or becoming blocked. It would certainty explain the lack of power and heavy fuel usage. When you changed the tyres did you buy remoulded ones as they tend to be significantly larger for the same size as a new tyre which has a negative effect on the gearing. Also going from a road pattern to even a moderate mud pattern can cost upwards of 5 mpg and the more extreme the pattern is the worse the consumption gets.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• ipop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2019 20:40 #205055 by ipop
Replied by ipop on topic Lack of power on M13A engine
Thank you Lambert for the warm welcome.

I was expecting a lower mpg, but a friend has 12-13L/100km (22mpg), but I'm at 15mpg (19/100).

Initially the tyres were 205/70/R15 insa turbo ranger A/T (13.5kg) and now I'm at 195/80/R15 insa turbo special track (17kg/each).

Both of them are remoulded tyres.
So, the new tyres have a lower footprint compared to the old ones.

I'll take a day to make a test with my friend's tyres, just swap them, but I really think it's not the right direction to go.

Is there a way to check the catalytic converter without going to a mechanic?

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2019 21:48 #205058 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Lack of power on M13A engine
An important thing: even when going down on the road (steep roads), the car slows down - even if it's on neutral !!! (and this is not an engine issue anymore)

This sounds as though you have a seized brake caliper, check for heat but DO NOT TOUCH the brake disc after a run.

More
25 Mar 2019 22:11 #205061 by Max Headroom
Hello Ipop and a BigJimny welcome from the Cotswold Hills!

Sounds like your brakes are binding if you are coasting downhill in neutral and finding you are slowing down,
Also is there oil in the diff? Does the diff' or any of the wheels feel excessively hot? Compare the temperatures of each wheel but don't burn your hand in the process

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Lambert
    Registered
More
26 Mar 2019 05:45 #205072 by Lambert
I missed the not being able to freely roll bit so yeah check the brakes for stuck pistons and caliper slides. Also the difference between a 205,70 and a 195,80 isn't just the width of the tread but the overall height is going to be noticeably more on the narrower tyre especially as they are remoulded. As for checking the catalytic converter if you are able to remove it you should be able to hear if the contents rattle and if there are any particles that can shake out but an after market cat isn't massively expensive compared to living with 15 mpg!

More
26 Mar 2019 07:32 - 26 Mar 2019 07:32 #205078 by Max Headroom
Good morning Lambert

My Jimny passed its MOT yesterday but struggled getting through the emissions test - I tmay need a new cat.

My question is - are there any recommended suppliers/brands of aftermarket cats that wont break the bank?

Last edit: 26 Mar 2019 07:32 by Max Headroom.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
26 Mar 2019 07:43 #205079 by Lambert
The last one I had was from the local motor factor for like a hundred quid. That was about 9 years ago before we got Ermintrude. It seemed to be okfor what it cost. Nowadays I might be tempted by a genuine one but only because I don't intend to get rid of my beloved car any time soon.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom

More
26 Mar 2019 08:13 #205084 by Max Headroom
I assume the el-cheapo aftermarket one lasted ok did it?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
26 Mar 2019 08:37 #205086 by Lambert
I assumed so. We didn't keep that Jimny for more than about a year after fitting the cat but it seemed ok.

More
26 Mar 2019 10:22 - 26 Mar 2019 10:26 #205089 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Lack of power on M13A engine
Binding brakes will feel more loose when hot. Almost not binding as things are real hot. Also they should be pulling to one side when cold, and the other side when braking when hot as the hot brakes will work badly.
If really hot you will also damage the bearings and gaskets and seal rings.
And brake fluid.

I found out my cat was broken from a small rattling noise coming from the exhaust manifold. Listen to it through a stick and found the problem area. just press a wooden stick to different areas of metal on the engine, and listen to the end of the stick. You will be able to isolate sounds that way. If there is a rattle inside the manifold the cat might have gone to pieces and those pieces will travel down and damage the next cat as well.

When i changed my cat I went from driving up from our local sub sea tunnel (-287m / 9,6% incline) in third gear barely 80kmh to driving uphill in fifth and had to stop accelerating at 120kmh. Wow the difference, think i have a race car now :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2019 10:26 by yakuza.

• ipop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Mar 2019 11:34 - 26 Mar 2019 11:35 #205091 by ipop
Replied by ipop on topic Lack of power on M13A engine
I'll see again with the brakes. One thing I know for sure, is that the break doesn't work on the rear-left wheel (for some reason).
Another thing: the mechanic told me that he's gonna fix it, but first I need to change rear axle with a better one (it's cracked a bit).

Now after reading so many replies, it may be possible to the oil inside the axle/groups to be almost gone (no noise comming from it) or the oil is more dense than before. And this would cause a break, I think.

A quick oil replacement for the rear axle group would do the trick?

And btw, the cat isn't glowing red (hot) after driving a lot (saw this on another topic somewhere).

In the end, I'm starting to think that the problem is not the engine itself (or the cat) and more of a rear-axle issue.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2019 11:35 by ipop.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds