BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Welding patches to repair rust

More
24 Mar 2019 13:14 #205003 by RogersJimmy
2001 Jimny

There are two areas of rust in the floor of my Jimny that the MOT tester brought to my attention but passed it anyway. So I thought it best to fix them before the next test.

The attached photos show the areas arrowed - next to the front subframe mounting and at the front of the sill.

Subframe: to avoid having remove the mounting, can this area be accessed and a patch welded inside the car by removing the carpet?

Sill: the rust is behind and beside what I presume is a stiffening bracket that I shall have to cut off to patch the rust. Can I get away with not making a new stiffener here?

Thanks in advance for the benefit of your combined experience with rusty Jimnys!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2019 18:50 #205009 by jackonlyjack
subframe.No access from inside unless you cut the floor out above
sill.Just cut the rust out weld the floor up first then rebuild the strengthener

More
13 Apr 2019 15:33 - 13 Apr 2019 15:35 #206004 by Bosanek
After all the welding is finished, it is of paramount importance to perform the following:
1. Apply an epoxy based primer paint over the bare metal, including the welds;
2. Seal all the welds with a polyurethane seam sealer compound;
3. Apply a non-porous finishing coating of your choice (paint, bitumen, etc.) over the primer paint and over the sealant;
4. Apply wax over layer #3.

Seam sealing compounds are usually available in tubes for uses in a calking gun.

It would be ideal if all the above could be applied from both sides of the welded sheet.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2019 15:35 by Bosanek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds