BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen4 stereo / centre console removal

More
05 Mar 2019 13:10 #204136 by Hanslow
Having finally taken deliver of my gen4 I'm looking to make a few convenience tweaks, the first of these is to add more USB support.
I'm a bit old school so have all my music on a USB stick which works fine, but leaves me with no charge point for phones and the like. I already have a bullet adapter that can go in the courtesy socket, but on my previous car I replaced the single USB with a dual.

Having done a bit of hunting around I came across Jusby dual USB which looks to be a simple standard USB interface. Taking a leap of faith since my Japanese is non-existent, I've ordered one of these, USB flush panel which looks similar to the Jusby item.

Since I can't get a good enough view of the fitting instructions on the Jusby link (5th picture), has anybody removed their stereo and lower centre console yet and if so how easy is it to do, or rather, what are the steps to do so?

I'm hoping it'll be a simple plug and play but give me full USB music access with the freedom to also charge my phone if/when required and still leave my courtesy socket free.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikeyw85
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2019 14:57 #204250 by mikeyw85
Replied by mikeyw85 on topic Gen4 stereo / centre console removal
I don't think it's a USB female connection on the back of the stereo, so not sure it will work as easy as intended.

More
08 Mar 2019 21:11 #204328 by Hanslow
I'm kinda hoping there's an interface box between the stereo and the USB port that might take care of the conversion. I've got the USB panel kit now just need to find some good weather to have a look at how the single USB routes through to the head unit.

Not that I can read Japanese but there doesn't seem to be anything else in the Jusby kit and the instructions seems to imply it's a direct fit. Time will tell, as will I once I find out.

More
08 Mar 2019 21:33 - 08 Mar 2019 21:34 #204330 by Hanslow
I'm hoping from the image below that the bottom left two connectors are two USB female connectors that come from the head unit. If so, it should be a quick and easy swap out once I know how to get the bottom panel off.

Of course it may not be that straightforward or simple...
Last edit: 08 Mar 2019 21:34 by Hanslow.

More
09 Mar 2019 06:34 - 09 Mar 2019 06:37 #204337 by facade
Let us know how you get on. I see that a rear USB is available as an expensive accessory, so there should be provision for adding a second.

I don't have my Gen 4 yet, but from what I've found out about the unit fitted to other Suzukis, and confirmed by Soeley, is the unit (I believe made by Bosch like the very unreliable Nissan Connect) uses proprietary connectors on the back.
The only connection diagram I have found so far is this one, I'm searching for the whole document, and it only shows one USB port. (number 8)

The wires for USB are black, red, white green, and the rear view I have shows a likely connector that isn't fully populated in an SX-cross, I'd expect another pair of green & white wires, or 2 more colours, for a second port. (The arrow points to the camera port)

I'm interested as I'd just put a memory stick in the only available port, as there is no CD, so I could put the stick in the second port and have a USB available.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Mar 2019 06:37 by facade.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds