BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

ABS sensor adjustment

• Don76
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2019 11:18 #204089 by Don76
ABS sensor adjustment was created by Don76
So I find myself here again, cap in hand ..

I have fitted the new kingpins and all is good. As part of this process I took the ABS sensors off. The ABS system is fine up to 60 mph, then dashboard light comes on. If I stop and start off again it goes off. It’s clear I have one of the sensors to close or too far away from the cog wheel.

Does anyone have experience with this, do I set them as close as possible?

If so can I do this without taking all the disc and Caliper off again. I was thinking of jacking it up and adjusting it closer till I hear it clip when I slowly rotate the wheel then back it off till it goes off. Does that sound reasonable?

Any help greatly appreciated ..

As soon as I stop fixing this rascal I will get round to posting a few pics and intro in the jimny general section.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2019 12:51 - 04 Mar 2019 12:57 #204094 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic ABS sensor adjustment
I've heard of dirt getting in when sensors have been removed and then refitted which causes problems. Cleanliness with these types of components is essential.
Similarly, corrosion on the actual sensor seating can cause the sensor to not be quite close enough to the rotor.
Sensors are funny things and dont like being disturbed

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 04 Mar 2019 12:57 by Max Headroom.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Mar 2019 13:26 #204096 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic ABS sensor adjustment
I think I read somewhere that the gap should be in the 1mm range. Can't remember where i read that though.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2019 13:59 #204098 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic ABS sensor adjustment
Strange that it only comes on at 60mph though. If its not gapped correctly then it should come on at trigger speed, normally around 5mph. Perhaps a disc is warping or a wheel bearing is worn and the inbalance at speed is causing the wheel to wander. Any signs of wheel wobble be it slight even?

More
04 Mar 2019 14:17 #204101 by theoldseacaptain
Similar thing happened to me when replacing the Kingpins. I had spaced the sensor too far away from the toothed rotor. Popped the disc and calliper off, adjusted the sensor to 1 to 2mm from the rotor and re-assembled. Not a big job if you've just had everything apart.

Sadly jimny-less but still got the bug!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don76

More
04 Mar 2019 22:13 #204127 by Max Headroom

mickt wrote: Perhaps a disc is warping or a wheel bearing is worn

Actually that's a good point; if the sensor is not sitting close enough to the rotor, I can understand how that could happen

• Don76
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2019 20:25 #204156 by Don76
Replied by Don76 on topic ABS sensor adjustment
It’s a strange one. Only comes on at around 63mph. Everything else feels fine. To be honest I am tempted to leave it till I change the discs and adjust them in a bit then. I am not super keen on Jimny driving above 60 anyway, it all seem super to get a bit lively...

• Dano0404
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2019 21:18 #204158 by Dano0404
Replied by Dano0404 on topic ABS sensor adjustment
I have this issue and only just realised after reading it happens at around this speed. Only thing I have done is a 2inch lift though. Was fine after king pin bearings.

• Don76
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2019 19:46 #204204 by Don76

theoldseacaptain wrote: Similar thing happened to me when replacing the Kingpins. I had spaced the sensor too far away from the toothed rotor. Popped the disc and calliper off, adjusted the sensor to 1 to 2mm from the rotor and re-assembled. Not a big job if you've just had everything apart.

Thanks for the info. I re adjusted the passenger side sensor today to around 1mm from the rotor. the ABS system is now running with no issues above 60 mph. :)

More
06 Mar 2019 19:52 #204206 by Max Headroom

Don76 wrote: I re adjusted the passenger side sensor today to around 1mm from the rotor. the ABS system is now running with no issues above 60 mph. :)

Yaaaay! Great result.

Was it much of a job?

• Don76
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2019 22:47 #204222 by Don76
No it wasn’t much of a job really.

Luckily it all came to bits easy as I had only done the kingpins last week. Kind of sucked having to do it again, especially as i got soaked :laugh: :laugh:

Every day is a school day though.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds