BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

m16a ecu with engine

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Feb 2019 21:29 #203708 by invincible
m16a ecu with engine was created by invincible
I've found an 08 yr m16a that comes with 1.6 ecu, does this mean I can keeep the throttle body as the ecu will run it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2019 22:00 #203710 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic m16a ecu with engine
An 08 M16A will be a VVT engine, so long as you are fitting it in a VVT Jimny, the standard 1.3 ECU will run with the 1.6 injectors.

I believe that you can run the 1.6 throttle body with the 1.3 ECU if you swap the throttle position sensors over.

Others on the forum have done similar, if not identical swaps and I'm sure they'll advise.

I've never heard of anybody changing to the 1.6 ECU.......

sniper

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
23 Feb 2019 08:31 #203714 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic m16a ecu with engine
You would need to know more about which specific throttle body is on it. It is more than likely drive by wire (electronic throttle), meaning you would need to swap over a lot of wiring and the throttle pedal itself. Also the immobiliser and 4x4 system are all linked together with the ECU, meaning all that would be to swap.

Generally not worth the bother when the 1.6 will run happily enough on the 1.3 ecu. You can get a throttle body from a 2004 liana that is cable operated and fits/works with no messing about (thats whats on mine at the moment, slightly larger bore than the 1.3 but fits on the 1.3 manifold). Or if you want to make an adapter plate and swap parts about ive found a rav4 one which looks promising, but not tried it yet.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Feb 2019 12:24 #203754 by invincible
Replied by invincible on topic m16a ecu with engine
Ok guys thanks, I, ll keep the 1.3 ecu so don't need to swap all other wiring, good info riccy, can I leave the 1.6 inlet manifold on then and just swap the 1.3 to it?
picking it up tomorrow, probably going to get stuck big time!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
24 Feb 2019 12:33 #203756 by Riccy
depends what the 1.6 came from. mine was from a swift and the manifold was all the wrong shape to be any use, possibly a liana one might work, never looked into it however. i ran with the 1.3 throttle body for ages before trying the liana tb.

as engine swaps go, this is about the easiest you will come across. the m16 is basically identical on the outside, just swap everything over carefully and away you go :-)

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
24 Feb 2019 12:35 #203757 by Riccy
Oh yeah, and if you are still using the vac hubs you will need to get a vac feed from somewhere as the jimny manifold is the only one with a second port for that ;-)

More
25 Feb 2019 08:29 #203801 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic m16a ecu with engine
I have tried to swap ECU from a 1.6. I never got beyond the immobilizer which is of different series of codes to different types of suzukis. No success in trying to reprogram them.
If you like to swap ECU you must do so from a period correct car, and also swap the whole immobilizer ignition lock antenna and parts over. at least.

On my 2008 Liana donor the inlet and Throttle body was of the same size as my 2005 Jimny parts so no point in swapping them over.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2019 08:30 #203802 by invincible
It's out of a swift, it has all the auxiliarys on it, so will the existing inlet man, have to come off and put the 1.3 on? it has the alt, belts the lot, do I need to take those off and fit the jimny crank pulley , confused. setting off to get shortly and feel all research has fallen apart. Bugger.

More
25 Feb 2019 12:16 - 25 Feb 2019 12:18 #203811 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic m16a ecu with engine
remove everything, use the parts from your m13a. Except for injectors as you know.
All brackets, auxiliaries, manifolds, oil pickup, oil pan, rocker cover and wiring from your m13 you keep to avoid trouble.
think i changed the pulley as well. and the flywheel.
remove the radiator and intake from your m13 first and keep it out of the car when you do the swap to save hassle and trouble.

That is the short answer, search for older topics that could help more in detail.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2019 12:18 by yakuza.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
25 Feb 2019 18:27 #203832 by Riccy
Yakuza is correct, everything is to swap for an easy job of it.

I believe it is possible to use the crank pulley, the result is that the PAS and A/C pump are driven a little faster (useful for off roading perhaps?). Longer belt needed of course.

Similarly I believe some people have used the alternator for a slightly higher output.

Water pump is the same, but the thermostat housing needs swapped to the jimny one.

The swift inlet manifold I have is totally the wrong shape to be any use, and has a drive-by-wire throttle body on it (equally useless in a Jimny). I never saw the exhaust manifold, but would expect that to be similarly useless.

Remember the M16 in a swift, liana, etc is front wheel drive and mounted transverse, meaning all the ins & outs are in different places to the inline mounted Jimny engine.

All you really need is the block and head (complete).

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2019 21:47 #203841 by invincible
Thanks yak and riccy, that's cleared a lot up, swap everything to save problems and take rad out first good tip. cheers guys, I, ll see how I get on , be prepared for desperate info!!! L.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds