BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

oh bug**r 4wd!

More
10 Feb 2019 20:12 #202927 by Fossie
oh bug**r 4wd! was created by Fossie
We Collected the 2nd Jimny yesterday ...a cabrio jobbie 03 plate . Drove home 50 odd miles no real issues .
Today after the off road test .....just a really really potholed muddy unadopted road to the stables we tried the 4wd ..no real discernible clunk like the other one and after a minute or so the green 4wd light came on flashing , this I read indicates vacuum issue, oh seemed to work at vendors , oh bug**r! However the machine did drag its self out of the mire as though 4wd was engaged .....went back in again in 2wd and the wheels did spin, so reengaged 4 seemed to work!
A dig around at home seems the the drivers side swivel seal is leaking , could this be connected?
Questions ...how easy will it be to find the vacuum leak , as in are there obvious places to check? Swivel seals reasonably easy to do,specific tools?
( other faults came to light while digging about but not that major.....yet!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Feb 2019 05:52 #202967 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic oh bug**r 4wd!
If the swivel is wet with oil and grease it's because of dead kingpin bearings killing the axle oil seal. It's a very common problem with vas5 amounts of information in these pages.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Feb 2019 08:28 #202977 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic oh bug**r 4wd!
Sounds like a small vacuum leak somewhere. Check all the obvious spots- wheel bearings first, then along the vacuum lines for leaks. Remove the hubs and check the sliding collar moves freely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fossie

More
19 Feb 2019 08:41 - 19 Feb 2019 08:42 #203437 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic oh bug**r 4wd!
Get the leak you have found fixed. Likely to be kingpin bearings and ruined oil seal as a result.

Then buy manual free wheeling hubs from Jimny Bits and bin the vacuum hubs. Trying to keep them working will drive you to distraction.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 19 Feb 2019 08:42 by kirkynut.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds