BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Do Jimnys use oil?

• Den1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2019 13:33 #202900 by Den1
Do Jimnys use oil? was created by Den1
Downloaded the Jimny manual and in the maintance section it said an oils useable of 1ltr per 1000 miles is normal?
Do these engines use oil?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2019 13:56 #202901 by jackonlyjack
The following user(s) said Thank You: Den1

More
10 Feb 2019 16:17 #202907 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Do Jimnys use oil?
Having owned 3 with over 100,000 miles on them I'd say no, they don't use much oil. I don't recall ever having to top one up between oil changes, which is probably inline with Jack's 500ml in a year.
I suspect that wording is put in the manual as an indication of the point at which oil consumption through engine wear is likely to become problematic but these engines exhibit very few signs of wear, even at very high mileages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Den1

More
10 Feb 2019 18:40 #202920 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Do Jimnys use oil?
I would also say no from my experience. Mine never moves on the dipstick between services, M13A VVT.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
10 Feb 2019 23:09 #202951 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Do Jimnys use oil?
I'm running a M13A VVT and haven't had to top mine up since its last service almost a year ago - its used as my daily drive to work and I've done many other much longer journeys in it too

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
13 Feb 2019 09:54 #203096 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Do Jimnys use oil?
Mine does 3k miles a year or less, sometimes as little as 1700 but don't see any usage.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
13 Feb 2019 14:52 - 13 Feb 2019 14:53 #203125 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Do Jimnys use oil?

Den1 wrote: Downloaded the Jimny manual and in the maintance section it said an oils useable of 1ltr per 1000 miles is normal?
Do these engines use oil?

Thanks

They don't unless something is wrong.

The 1litre/1000miles thing is standard. Mini coopers* and most VWs run right at that limit, but the manufacturers won't accept that anything is wrong unless you can use more- saves them a fortune on warranty work. ;)

With a 4 litre sump and 12000 mile service intervals, quite a few get to run out of oil- I personally know of 2 mini coopers that have.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 13 Feb 2019 14:53 by facade.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds