BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Help removing a seized brake nipple

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2019 12:15 #202087 by NineCherries
Help removing a seized brake nipple was created by NineCherries
Afternoon folks. I was looking to give the brakes a once over, pads and discs recently done, the calliper sliders and boots were serviceable but will be replaced soon.

I’ve never relaxed the brake fluid on my beastie so contemplated flushing/ bleeding the system but......

The brake nipples are solid. Rather than shear them I opted to leave them alone today and have brakes that are useable :)

Any tips?
I did read about inserting a pin/ rod of some sort into the nipple to reinforce it so it doesn’t twist and collapse,
I have squirted them with penetrating fluid, and given them a little chap,
I’m using a six sided socket so I’m working on the flats,
I’ve even tried to tighten them slightly too.

Solid. :(

Tia,
Tony.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2019 12:45 - 30 Jan 2019 12:46 #202091 by adrianr
Just had that, yesterday.

One we managed on the car, the other had to take the caliper off and work on it in a vice. Impact socket started to round off the nipple.

In both cases you need heat - we used a mini blow torch for about 15 minutes. The let it cool, then heat again.

Mole grips or better small stilson pipe wrench, try to crack it a little tighter then work it very slowly, with releasing fluid (50/50 mix of ATF and acetone is good). Work it out slowly so it doesn’t snap. Inserting something to stop it collapsing / twisting could be a good option.

Mine were stuck really tight and it took about 45 minutes to work the 2 loose. I had new ones ready to put in.

If you are unsure you could find a mechanic to help you after work, that’s what i did since I had not been successful at moving mine.

Good luck!
Last edit: 30 Jan 2019 12:46 by adrianr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NineCherries

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Jan 2019 13:44 #202099 by Lambert
As said above, if they are solid then have spare ones to hand and also an appropriate tap to clean the threads if you end up shearing them off and drilling them out. Heat is your friend but be conscious of the seals and that brake fluid is flammable. Ultimately if you are not confident in your ability get a professional to assist.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: NineCherries

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2019 15:59 #202106 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Help removing a seized brake nipple
I usually loosen them with a wise grip plier, does the trick

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2019 18:08 #202126 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Help removing a seized brake nipple
Thanks. Thought as much.
Brakes still didn’t feel right and wasn’t happy so I went back for another look at them. The right was too hot for the short trip I took, sticky caliper:( worked it back and forward several times but no luck, it’s not worth the hassle trying to get the bleed nipple out and wait for the seal kit and piston coming.

Thanks anyway folks, new calipers arrive tomorrow. (Yeah I know I can rebuild these ones but i can’t afford the car to be off the road too long, as the car is a daily drive)

Tony.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds