BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Alternative Antenna

More
18 Jan 2019 20:35 #201089 by Soeley
Alternative Antenna was created by Soeley
I have found one slight problem with my Gen 4 Jimny so far. Although in the garage there is plenty of height, I even measured the height under the Up & Over door when open, the roof clears it fine but the aerial is another matter. Due to the aerial not being that flexible i'm having to unscrew it every time I park in the garage, and then replace on leaving.

I'm sure I'd seen some pictures previously that looked like the aerial had a pivot at the base so it could be folded flat. Does anyone know of a specific Suzuki that has one like that I could use? I have been told today that the base will hold the GPS antenna and the actual aerial is for both DAB & FM so a replacement would need to satisfy all 3. I was kind of hoping I could swap it for a whip aerial that could be clipped to the front gutter for entering the garage.

Any suggestions welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jan 2019 21:08 #201091 by TaterTot
Replied by TaterTot on topic Alternative Antenna
Is it possible to unscrew the whip that is there today, from the socket? I doubt that the GPS uses the whip, as the frequency for GPS does not match that antenna.

Or a close up picture would help.

More
18 Jan 2019 21:31 #201093 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Alternative Antenna
I'll take one tomorrow, cheers.

More
19 Jan 2019 17:22 #201155 by Soeley

TaterTot wrote: Is it possible to unscrew the whip that is there today, from the socket? I doubt that the GPS uses the whip, as the frequency for GPS does not match that antenna.

Or a close up picture would help.

Ok, this is the base with the whip removed, it does look like there is a mark where another version could possibly have a slot to allow for the whip to be swiveled down. The thread is 3/16" BSF.

And with the whip attached.

I have come up with a temporary solution. Some stiff garden wire bent to hook under the gutter and hod the whip down.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2019 17:49 #201158 by TaterTot
That there looks to be a stock antenna. One solution is to get an antenna swivel, and lay it flat(ter). Another is to get an antenna that is shorter (I'll have to calculate this one to be sure, but 1/2 length should be ok). Shorter antenna means not as good signal. No matter how flexible it is, repeated bending because a clearance issue, will cause damage.

I can't seem to find pre-made angled joints for that antenna, sadly.

Also, since you have already unscrewed it. I would suggest you get some contact Vaseline, so moisture can't get in there.

How much too long is the antenna?

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2019 18:00 #201160 by TaterTot
Maybe you could actually use a shark fin kit. Looks like those would fit over the "foot" you have. Only issue I see, is that the Jimny roof doesn't look flat around the antenna foot

More
19 Jan 2019 18:36 - 19 Jan 2019 18:37 #201166 by Soeley
Thanks for your input, I would be happier with a shorter one rather than a shark fin. I will measure tomorrow how much too long it is. I never thought on today whilst I had the rear headlining loose to look and see what sort of connector was under that base.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2019 18:37 by Soeley.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2019 18:52 #201168 by TaterTot
There are plenty of stubby antennas. Just got to make sure the antenna sits well. It's actually OK if the new antenna doesn't bottom out, and cover up the connection. What's important is a good connection. Any gap from the outside is easily closed with an O-ring/gasket.

More
19 Jan 2019 19:05 #201171 by Soeley
A quick google (first chance I've had) and the Ignis base looks promising.

Click Me

More
19 Jan 2019 19:11 - 19 Jan 2019 19:13 #201172 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Alternative Antenna
That looks like a multiple frequency antenna, actually more than one in one whip, you can see the longer antenna is wrapped around the centre antenna.
There may well be an amplifier in the base that will be matched to the antenna.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2019 19:13 by Rhinoman.

More
19 Jan 2019 19:14 #201174 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Alternative Antenna

Soeley wrote: A quick google (first chance I've had) and the Ignis base looks promising.

Click Me

That looks like an FM only antenna, its for the old Ignis.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2019 19:31 #201177 by TaterTot

Rhinoman wrote: That looks like a multiple frequency antenna, actually more than one in one whip, you can see the longer antenna is wrapped around the centre antenna.
There may well be an amplifier in the base that will be matched to the antenna.

In theory it could be like that, but as it is I doubt it. That kind of setup has no benefit at all, rather the opposite. Then there is the lengths of antennas for DAB and FM, where FM is always one 1/2 more than DAB. The antenna on the pic is 18-19cm long. For FM thats 1/16 of full wave, and for DAB 1/8. So any FM antenna should do fine.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds