BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Removing vacuum system

More
13 Jan 2019 11:35 #200627 by RogersJimmy
From my earlier posts you will see that the vacuum system is not functioning on my 2001 model (4WD lever on floor), so I am seriously considering some manaul FWH from Jimnybits at £114.99 all in. The car is completely standard and is only used for road work and the occasional muddy field.

I see from the very useful wiki guide that the vacuum system can either be blocked (to fool the controller) or removed and the 2 wires bridged on the controller socket.

My question is: is there any reason why I cannot disconnect the intake manifold pipe and block the manifold stub off, and then bridge the 2 wires?? Seems quite the easiest way to me, but have I missed something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2019 11:42 #200628 by adrianr
Replied by adrianr on topic Removing vacuum system
That makes sense to me. Would be easy to reverse if it throws up a fault so if it was me I would give it a try.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

More
13 Jan 2019 18:42 #200668 by ahtr
Replied by ahtr on topic Removing vacuum system

RogersJimmy wrote: My question is: is there any reason why I cannot disconnect the intake manifold pipe and block the manifold stub off, and then bridge the 2 wires?? Seems quite the easiest way to me, but have I missed something?

I've done exactly this. Fitted AVM hubs. Removed the whole vac system including hoses and steel pipes on the axles. Put some silicone caps on the hubs and inlet manifold. Removed the 4wd controller under the dash and linked the two blue cables on the plug to keep the 4wd light working.

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs

More
13 Jan 2019 20:13 #200674 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Removing vacuum system
So many of these threads that says to remove the system i was wondering why no one says to just fix the leaks or the system?
I would just like to balance it and give other possibilities :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
13 Jan 2019 21:33 #200683 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Removing vacuum system
For balance I intend to keep my system as switch operated from the comfort of my seat.
The vacuum pipes are rusting up and I intend to replicate them using brake pipe, I will make templete from them so I can bend the pipes in the same profile. The only issues is the system is still working fine and I will only tackle this when I have a fault to fix.
Maybe thats the issue, most are still working..

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
14 Jan 2019 12:21 #200718 by RogersJimmy
Replied by RogersJimmy on topic Removing vacuum system
Hi yakusa, I would fix the system if I could. Trouble is, I can’t find the reason for lack of vacuum despite working through the wiki tutorial.

It is most likely a leak from a pinhole in one of the rusty metal pipes, but how do you find it without renewing each in turn? It’s not like an air pressure leak that you might find with soapy water.

So my new manual FWHs arrive on Wednesday and then all will be fine!

More
14 Jan 2019 12:28 #200719 by adrianr
Replied by adrianr on topic Removing vacuum system
You could, I suppose, run a length of silicone hose directly from the controller on the wing to the hubs splitting with t pieces as required and bypassing the metals pipes. You could then cable tie the silicone hoses to the metal pipes to follow their pathway.

More
14 Jan 2019 18:21 #200735 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Removing vacuum system
I'm a big fan of the vacuum system. I use it every day and it's never given me any trouble. The only time I've had it not work was when a wheel bearing had gone, meaning the hub was not sealed. After fitting a new wheel bearing it worked perfectly again.
You can pressurise the system and check for leaks with soapy water. You can also test it by running a length of hose straight from the controller to the hub to bypass all the hoses. If it then works you know it's just a leak in a pipe.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds