BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

When to change the water pump on Suzuki Jimny 2014

More
14 Jan 2019 21:33 - 15 Jan 2019 06:50 #200757 by Bosanek
Regularly replacing all fluids and filters (and using high quality and properly matching ones) is much more important for preventive maintenance than replacing non-consumable mechanical parts on random guessing.

This wiki article contain more info on that.

And to add to Busta's suggested strategy, I would also replace the timing chain in the engine, all engine sensors, engine oil pump, thermostat, engine cooling fan and the ECU. All of these components are critical to vehicle's operation, and all can fail suddenly.

If the vehicle is regularly used in 4WD mode, I would also replace the entire vacuum system and also everything in the front wheel hubs including the wheel bearings, and the 4WD control computer.

Replacing the ABS pump, ABS control computer, master brake cylinder, both hand brake cables, rear brake cylinders and all brake hoses is also a sensible strategy to ensure undisputed and complete mission critical vehicle reliability.

EDIT:
Electrical starter and alternator should also be replaced after a while to ensure reliability at all costs.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2019 06:50 by Bosanek. Reason: Forgot about the el. starter and alternator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2019 23:25 - 14 Jan 2019 23:31 #200764 by Scimike

ChrisW wrote: mmm, now you lot have me worried.

Think I will just pack the water pump away in case it does fail in the future.

No need to be worried, I hope you can take away from this that most believe the parts in question should last a lot longer than you believe. The key is regular maintenance to the Suzuki schedule and visual checks of the vehicle for any anomalies that may be developing. With the cooling system you will get a warning before it fails, be it a visable coolant leak or its simply consumes coolant, or in you case a damaged radiator. Simply fix or replace the failed or damaged part.

Its going to be impossible to predict every component failure, its just the way it is. All components have a life that can be reprisented on a graph as a line over time called "The bath tub curve". This shows that initially components are likely to fail, factory testing of these components should remove the potential failures. Those that pass tests are likely to work reliably for years, but as time passes the likelihood of failure increases.
What this means in real terms is a new component is more likely to fail than a component that has been in service for a reasonable length of time. The real trick is determining when you have entered the "worn out phase".
I would guess that most vehicles are designed to exceed 100000 miles before the end of useful life.

Bath tub curve. New componts are more likely to fail than used within designed service life.

Of course this is all nonsense if you fit the part with a hammer or drive the vehicle with finesse of a 18 year old boy racer.....:laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Jan 2019 23:31 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds