BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

When to change the water pump on Suzuki Jimny 2014

• livingonbeans
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2019 18:22 #200480 by livingonbeans
Hey guys!

I'm new to the forum but an avid Jimny enthusiast, I'm hoping you guys can help me out a little.

My 2014 Jimny is just approaching the 60,000 mile (100,000km) mark and I'm starting to wonder what, or if I should be considering any major repair work.

As part of my regular service I regularly change motor oil, spark plugs, gear oils, revise clutch etc....however I'm a bit in the dark on the water pump and the fuel filter.

I was wondering at how many miles I should be looking to change my water pump, at the moment it is fine and not leaking but I use the cars vigorously for work and would rather work on prevention rather than the cure. The same applies for the fuel filter, I believe this is integrated in the fuel pump, and thus the entire fuel pump should be changed.

I've looked through the maintenance schedule and can't find any indications of either the water pump or the fuel filter/pump.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Danny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Jan 2019 18:36 #200482 by Lambert
Neither are a service item and don't give any problems. I have another 30k on your mileage and haven't had problems.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• livingonbeans
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2019 18:41 #200483 by livingonbeans
Replied by livingonbeans on topic When to change the water pump on Suzuki Jimny 2014
Ok cool.

Maybe I should have mentioned, the Jimnys are actually 'rent a car' style cars to tourists to explore the area, therefore I'd rather fix them in advance as opposed to leave it to fail on the road.

As neither are servicable items, at when should I 'expect' to change them?

Thanks guys

• Cremator1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2019 18:46 #200485 by Cremator1
When they show signs of going wrong or go wrong

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Jan 2019 18:51 #200486 by Lambert
Mine has had a brutal lift and is fine. You just have to keep up with the services.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• livingonbeans
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2019 18:53 #200487 by livingonbeans
Replied by livingonbeans on topic When to change the water pump on Suzuki Jimny 2014
Yeah, but like I mentioned above, they are 'rent a car' style cars and can be out with customers for circa 5,000 miles therefore I would rather them not show signs of going wrong and instead get it replaced ahead of something bad happening when it is out of my control

• Cremator1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2019 18:56 #200490 by Cremator1
Yes but that’s cars for you .you don’t no when they are going to go wrong if it makes you feel better change the water pump and I think the fuel filter is in the tank as it part of the pump

• livingonbeans
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2019 19:02 #200492 by livingonbeans
Hmmm, I'm thinking maybe of changing the water pump either now or in another 10,000 miles, like I say, maybe just for precaution.

I suppose with the fuel pump/filter I'll just stick it out. What are the symptoms of failing fuel pump?

• Cremator1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2019 19:29 #200501 by Cremator1
I would say not starting but not to sure

More
11 Jan 2019 20:27 - 12 Jan 2019 00:15 #200511 by Scimike
I think you are making work for yourself and could even make things worse. The fuel and water pumps are not service items and are not known to give issues on a well maintained Jimny. If you must (I understand your concerns) I would only fit genuine Suzuki parts as aftermarket parts can be a bit of a lottery, at least genuine will meet your needs for absolute reliability.
Also at which point do you draw the line? Alternator, radiator hoses, PAS pump, fuel pump etc

A true tale of similar preventative maintenance:
Last week a friend of mine changed the fuel pump on his 190K miles Porsche 924 as a precaution and had a bosch pump professionally fitted. The new pump now makes a phenomenal noise, we suppect cavitation but not 100% sure. The pump has been tested but messing has obviously disturbed something creating new problems that now need solving. Its expensive, not working correctly and was the result of "fixing" a problem that never existed.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 12 Jan 2019 00:15 by Scimike.

• ChrisW
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2019 15:32 #200730 by ChrisW
mmm, now you lot have me worried.

My radiator is battered and needs to be replaced. Because I am changing this I thought it would be the best time to change the water pump and thermostat at the same time, drain it all once rather than at some point in the future.

Think I will just pack the water pump away in case it does fail in the future.

More
14 Jan 2019 18:11 #200734 by Busta
I had a water pump fail. It was in a 13 year old Jimny that had been converted to a 1.6 and done 120,000 miles, the last 40,000 of which were mostly towing in very harsh conditions. I had been running it with straight water (no antifreeze) in the coolant.
At 4 years old and such low mileage the water pump on yours will be fine but given the fact you are refusing to take the advice of others and seem adamant it should be changed I suggest you change it immediately. Likewise the fuel pump, and although you haven't considered them, change the chain in the transfer case and the big end journals. Better to be safe than sorry.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds