BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gearbox different between between engines with chain and belt?

• AdrianS
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2018 11:39 #199218 by AdrianS
Hi guys,

I'm looking to replace the gearbox on my 2001 Jimny (M13AA petrol engine, no VVT, with transfer lever, no button). The mechanic said it is preferable to replace the whole gearbox because there are more failed parts inside, and since it is not worth getting a brand new gearbox (if they are still made for my old car!), I've been looking to get a compatible gearbox.
So far I learned that my car uses the R7ME gearbox, and cars with VVT and push-button to enable 4x4 use the newer R72 gearbox. I hope I got that right.

However, I am confused by this: some vendors seem to imply that there are differences between gearboxes for Jimnys fitted with engines with timing belt vs timing chain, with the gearbox for engines with timing chains being more expensive. That is the first time I'm hearing this. For the the record, the engine on my Jimny has a timing chain.

Could someone please shed some light on that issue?

P.S. I was registered on this forum, Google still finds old posts with my user name, but the forum won't let me log in, so I had to re-register with same user name and email address.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2018 12:09 #199219 by sniper
G13B engined (timing belt) Jimny's had very few gearbox problems. As a result secondhand boxes are readily available and cheap.

M13A (non VVT timing chain) engined cars had very few problems with R7ME gearbox, this box was only fitted for a few years and is not so common.

M13AA (VVT timing chain) engined cars with the R72 gearbox are prone to bearing failure.

The R7ME and R72 gearboxes have different ratio's and different mounts. They can be converted to fit and some of the forum members have changed from R72 to R7ME. This has allowed them to run larger tyres because of the gearing drop. You also get a much more reliable gearbox.

Forum member J999PRE has a few secondhand boxes, he may be able to help.

sniper

More
20 Dec 2018 12:17 - 20 Dec 2018 12:19 #199220 by Max Headroom
Hello Adrian and... er, welcome back!

I don't know where you are based but there has recently been some discussion in the forum on the subject of g'boxes.and replacing them.

I can't really help you personally (I have the R72 g'box in mine) but I'm sure someone will be along soon that can throw some light on the subject.

I recently approached Mr Clutch , a nationwide motor centre just to test the water and see how much it would cost to replace the g'box on mine; they quoted around £1200 all in inc VAT etc which I didn't think was too bad.
Some folk in the forums have suggested that (if you are lucky enough to live in the right place) there are independant workshops that can do it cheaper than that, but I would assume that might mean removing the g'box yourself.

Sorry if that doesn't help you much but if you don't have the tools/facilities/time to remove the g'box yourself it might be worth approaching someone like Mr Clutch .
I only mention them because people in the SAAB forums I am associated with were very pleased with their work and found them highly competitive - so I got them to cx the clutch on my Jimny which incidentally, cost me < £250 all-in just a couple of months back, and its been fine.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 20 Dec 2018 12:19 by Max Headroom.

• AdrianS
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2018 12:19 #199221 by AdrianS
Thanks for replying.
What is still unclear to me, does older Jimny with G13BB engin have R7ME gearbox, or an even older gearbox model?
If same gearbox, then is it safe to buy such item and fit it to my 2001 M13 no-VVT car?

• AdrianS
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2018 12:23 #199222 by AdrianS
BTW, I am based in Bucharest. Here mechanics are cheaper, but parts' price is about the same as in UK.

More
20 Dec 2018 12:28 #199224 by Max Headroom
Salut!

My wife is from Mangalia, Constanța :)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
20 Dec 2018 12:47 #199225 by sniper
The earlier G13b gearbox does not fit to the M13A.

sniper

• AdrianS
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2018 12:58 #199226 by AdrianS
So then the vendors I mentioned don't know what they are talking about, since they were mentioning belts. M13 non-VVT engines all have chain (right?), and fits R7ME as is or R72 with some modifications.

More
20 Dec 2018 15:06 - 20 Dec 2018 15:09 #199228 by jackonlyjack
Last edit: 20 Dec 2018 15:09 by jackonlyjack.

More
20 Dec 2018 16:13 #199230 by j999pre
I have a couple of r7me gearboxes available.

Thanks sniper

J999PRE

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds