BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fitting rear bearings and collars

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
19 Nov 2018 20:17 #197813 by X8GGY
Everytime I've done the rear wheel bearings on S200KYS I've taken the shafts round to my local garage and paid them to fit the new bearings for me, presuming they had the required press to do it. Getting friendly with the two guys that run the garage they said surely I could do my own bearings, to which I said I didn't have a press, and that's when they told me how they do mine..

A suitable length of seamless pipe - 19" and 29" I used, although the longer one would do both shafts - and a lump hammer!

The bearing and collar are a tolerance fit and 'just' need knocking onto the shafts... I started with the smaller shaft and did the bearing on it's own until it was nearly home, and then the retaining collar afterwards... But on the longer one I did them together which seemed no more effort but saved hitting the bearing directly with the pipe.

Not too bad a job :)

Note the stout block of wood with stout battens on top arranged so that the wheel studs weren't in contact.

Satisfying to do-it-yourself, and saved a few quid too :woohoo:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Nov 2018 05:22 #197827 by Lambert
Interesting. I have a press in the event of doing mine but good to know its not absolutely necessary.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Nov 2018 10:20 #197839 by yakuza
I heated the retainer in the oven..
Baked them at 150 degrees for an hour.

Also just used a pipe to knock them on.
Didn't bother driving 5 minutes to a press i can use.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
20 Nov 2018 10:52 #197840 by X8GGY
I considered that (heating the retainer in the oven) but was (unnecessarily?) worried about heat transferring to the bearing?...

More
20 Nov 2018 11:01 #197841 by jackonlyjack
This is good info but whats best way to remove them :huh:
Grinder/slitting disc ??

More
20 Nov 2018 16:44 #197853 by Busta
Nice solution. It's not a job I've ever had to do on the Jimny, but faced with that problem I would tap it on with a punch, moving about 1/3 of the way around the bearing with each tap so it went on evenly. If using a pipe make sure the end is cut perfectly square or, better still, rotate it a bit with each hit.

More
21 Nov 2018 07:33 #197883 by facade

jackonlyjack wrote: This is good info but whats best way to remove them :huh:
Grinder/slitting disc ??

The best way is to use a bearing extractor under the bearing and pull against the end of the shaft, but you need either an extractor with chains on, or a boxful of adaptors to make it long enough.

Suzuki say to grind down the retainer ring to thin it (it will change colour in a stripe as it gets thin because it heats up more from the grinder) both sides then split it with a chisel and pull the bearing off.

I ended up smashing the bearing and doing the same to the inner race.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackonlyjack

More
21 Nov 2018 08:46 - 21 Nov 2018 08:48 #197887 by yakuza

S200KYS wrote: I considered that (heating the retainer in the oven) but was (unnecessarily?) worried about heat transferring to the bearing?...

Maybe if it's red hot it could transfer heat to the bearing. but you put the bearing on first so that risk is minimal.
I put the axles in the freezer as well.
(remember to put your fish and chips back in the freezer, or in the oven hot from the retainer, when you take the axles out.)

With cold axles you put the bearing on the axle. then when you put the hot retainer on the cold axle, the retainer gets cold like lightning fast and gets stuck half way down on the shaft..
You end up knocking it in anyways.

But you will get finished just in time for the fish and chips :)

For removing it's like facade says: grind/cut/chisel.
Take care not to grind/cut the axle or flange/brake plate.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2018 08:48 by yakuza. Reason: add info

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds