BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Battery terminal size

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2018 15:00 #197632 by mickt
Battery terminal size was created by mickt
Is it me or are batteries for the Jimny a scarce item due to their small terminals? I have tried finding a Yussa battery on ebay and have typed in the search and up comes the list but when I fill in the car details non fit? So which makes fit? The one on the car is a 45Ah 330A cc and has been on the car since we got it ,6 years, so don't know how old it is. The battery went flat the other day and it turned out the daughter had been using the headlamps to watch the dogs last thing at night while they went about their business but with no engine running as it scares the dogs! Her mate and her tried to jump start it with new heavy duty leads to no avail so I ended up going to see it and tried using my Tiguan and again nothing. So I took the battery off as the dash board lights were very dull so reckoned it was as flat as could be and gave it a overnight recharge and lo and behold it fully charged and passed the load test using my load testing machine. I then went back to the car this time with my jump start kit and just used that to check start the car thinking that the starter motor had stuck. The engine burst straight into life so I then refitted her battery and all ok. I then checked the alternator and it was putting out 14.5v so hopfully all good, for now. But as its winter soon and knowing the battery has served its time I want to fit a good equally powerfull battery as is now fitted. Is there any particular supplier that can be contacted where I can get one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2018 16:12 - 13 Nov 2018 16:15 #197639 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Battery terminal size
Personally I use Halfrauds but only because I've a Trade card and get a decent discount there.
I have also used Battery Megastore without problems. They deliver very quickly.
If you do it online just double check the +/- positions on the battery are in the correct position on the one you order, or you may end up with the leads from the car not reaching.

You probably know this, but the battery terminals have an adapter - a little cone that fits over them to make them fatter. Its a stupid idea; I've no idea why its done like this - prob something to do with Japanese specifications. When I got my Jimny those 'cones' were very worn and I couldn't tighten the therminals satisfactorily so acquired new ones.
I also used that red Liqui-Moly 3140 Battery terminal grease on the terminals to keep them from corroding - if you use that, shop around for a decent price - I think I got it on Amazon.

While youre on battery servicing procedures, it might be worth cleaning up the earth lead and greasing it with the Moly 3140 on reassembly

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 13 Nov 2018 16:15 by Max Headroom.

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2018 19:14 #197643 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Battery terminal size
That is the crux of the matter then as my battery leads are suited to the original cone small size!

More
13 Nov 2018 21:20 - 13 Nov 2018 21:23 #197645 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Battery terminal size
Halfords ( I also have trade card, almost makes them cheap) sell replacement battery terminals. So if needed you can cut off the Jimny ones and replace them, you can then get any battery that will fit in the space...
But best exhaust direct battery replacements first.
I had to do this with my old land Rover as nothing was listed. I simple went into Halfords with a tape measure and got the largest battery that would fit in the space under the bonnet. You dont always have to do what the computer says :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 13 Nov 2018 21:23 by Scimike.

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2018 21:23 #197646 by jim
Replied by jim on topic Battery terminal size
My recent Yuasa battery was from halfords. It came with the post adaptors which I removed. The product code was YBX5057

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2018 17:17 - 14 Nov 2018 17:18 #197657 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Battery terminal size
Here are two options I've been considering for a while...

1) Yellow Top £130

2) Exide EP450 £168

Price aside, which would you folks go for?

Terminal layout on both is correct for the Jimny, although the Exide will need terminal clamp adaptors or a new clamp fitted.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2018 17:18 by Venter.

More
14 Nov 2018 17:29 #197658 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Battery terminal size
I personally would not go for any of them in my Jimny as they are a bit pricey for me, but I was forced to pick one I have heard good thing about Optima Red and Yellow top batteries from people with Land Rovers. Dont know the technology behind Optima, but the Excide is just AGM technology (start /stop cars) and a similar capacity AGM is about £120, so dont understand why its more ££££ or why its any better than a normal AGM.
So Yellow top gets my vote but only if someone else is paying.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
14 Nov 2018 19:50 #197662 by auchenblae
Replied by auchenblae on topic Battery terminal size
Stop messing about on the net and getting your knickers in a twist.

Just go to a motor factors, Halfords or whatever and do not try to be clever.

Then physicaly pick a battery that is the correct size and with the correct terminals. Take the old one with you to make sure it is te correct size.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2018 20:43 #197663 by mickt
I have used Halfords for all of my battery needs but unfortunately misplaced my trade card. I am awaiting for my local branch to get some in their store and hopefully I will have the savings to see if they have a straight forward battery fit. I do not need to take the old one down as I know the dimensions etc of the one fitted but I would like to keep the car as is as regards the terminals. I am not messing about either as the car is my daughters and her money is as all the youngsters today tight so I want to ensure she gets the best for what she pays! Thanks Jim for the Halfords info and I will check to see if they have stock here in Stoke on Trent. Thanks all for your replies.

More
15 Nov 2018 13:20 #197679 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Battery terminal size
The 45AH battery that fits the 2001 Jimny with Japanese terminals, the largest that fits the battery tray at 238mm long, is a Varta B33 (330CCA), Yuasa YBX3057 (400CCA)

Put a yuasa on this morning, as it looks like I won't be able to get hold of a new jimny for 2 years or so. The Varta I took off only lasted 8 years, they just don't make modern stuff properly.

I paid £72 at a local factors, Tayna do it for £63 delivered, seen it as low as £55 delivered online.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2018 15:29 - 21 Nov 2018 12:39 #197681 by mickt
I have ordered my Yussa YBX5057 from a online supplier for £68.99 delivered. Halfords use their own codes on the batteries and were more expensive for them though.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2018 12:39 by mickt.

More
15 Nov 2018 18:33 #197690 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Battery terminal size
I should have sent off for a 5057, but I didn't want to wait around for a courier.

I reckon there are 2 years left in the car,, hopefully there will be some new jimnys in stock by then.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds