BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Another jimny getting a 1.6 (and starting issues)

• SpoolinB6
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2018 08:22 #197454 by SpoolinB6
Hi guys, first post to this forum in hopes someone can help me

I have converted my jimny from the G13bb to a G16b.
Having issues getting the bloody thing to run though. It cranks goes to fire but then just keeps cranking.

Now it seems like a timing issue. I put the 1.3 cam into the 1.6. Set it to TDC 1 and then set the outter "E" mark on the camshaft pulley facing straight up to match the marking on the rocker cover.
It seems like it's 180 degrees out. I have had the cam in both ways now and still have not yeiled any results.

My thoughts are pulling off the camshaft sensor ring at the back and spinning it around 180 degrees and pressing it back on.

That way my camshaft is in correctly, set at proper timing and it will fire 180 opposite to how it currently is.

Does anyone know of this will work?, has anyone else on here done it?

Cheers guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2018 08:36 - 08 Nov 2018 21:34 #197455 by Max Headroom
Greetings from the Cotswolds, Spoolin.

I can't help you; this is well out of my league - but I'm confident someone will be in soon that can help :)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 08 Nov 2018 21:34 by Max Headroom.

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2018 18:00 #197472 by MadsV
I wouldnt take the ring off without knowing exactly where it should be. If its 180 off why not turn the cam over and time it on the marks again?

More
08 Nov 2018 20:47 #197488 by Busta
The cam rotates 180 degrees for each full revolution of the engine, so I can't see how it can possibly be 180 degrees out?

• SpoolinB6
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2018 21:24 #197492 by SpoolinB6
Thats what im worried about. I mean i have marked the cam and cam ring to make sure if i take it off i can get it back on.

I have had the cam turned over 180 degrees the other way and yeilded no results.

i took the car to a mechanics as i was sick of trying to get it to start. and he said that my timing and cam is set correctly but the car is trying to fire on cylinder #1 when it should be firing on cylinder #4.

So this makes me think if my cam and timing are correct then my cam ring must be wrong, as the cam ring is what tells the car when to fire.

• SpoolinB6
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2018 21:27 #197493 by SpoolinB6
I know, thats why im so confused as to why the car wont run.
Timing and cam is set correctly and has been checked by a mechanic.

oh the joy of cars lol.

More
08 Nov 2018 22:09 #197505 by j999pre
Is it a soft top or hard top? If soft top have you checked the crank sensor pickup sensor is the same as your old engine? Also the cam pulley can go on two ways, make sure you have it correct, I've done loads of these without major issue

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds