BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Body mount MOT failure

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Oct 2018 18:10 #196764 by mickt
Body mount MOT failure was created by mickt
Seems to be the taste of the month! The daughter took hers for testing and it came back with 5 must be done failure points. Basically the back 4 mounts and a seat belt mounting. So when I took it back so that I could have a look the mounts per se are fine and solid as is the seat belt mount. But there are a hole or two in what I would call sills that apparently are within the area deemed to be vital to the integrity of the mounts. The one near the seat mounting is the size of a fingernail. So not as big as a disaster as I first thought but a few awkward access patches required to get the certificate. So beware when taking the car for the MOT if the sills are tatty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Grainfoot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Oct 2018 21:59 #196773 by Grainfoot
Replied by Grainfoot on topic Body mount MOT failure
What year is this one?

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2018 10:29 #196792 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Body mount MOT failure
2002 hardtop.

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2018 18:09 #196795 by mickt
Is the top of the rear cross chassis beam get attable by removing part of the boot floor as one of the holes is on that on the right hand side?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
15 Oct 2018 18:21 #196796 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Body mount MOT failure
Easiest access would be to remove the exhaust back box and rear wheels to get at from underneath. I wouldnt bother cutting the boot floor out unless thats rotten too.

Its worth having a decent bash at rusty areas with a hammer to see what else lurks instore :laugh: :evil: Holes are usually much bigger when you cut out the rot im afraid.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2018 14:54 - 19 Oct 2018 18:08 #196821 by mickt
So the welder picked the car up Thursday and we got it back at 5pm today. £80 all in. Mind I have yet to have a look at it! But the MOT tester was happy with it and the car is good to go for another year!
Last edit: 19 Oct 2018 18:08 by mickt.

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2018 18:29 #196908 by mickt
Managed to get under the car this early evening and they seem ok. He must have a air pressure gun to apply the black gunge as it covered more area than he welded! I have found one bit that needs a weld tomorrow but apart from that its sound.

More
21 Oct 2018 20:05 #196947 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Body mount MOT failure

mickt wrote: Managed to get under the car this early evening and they seem ok.

Pleased for you, MoT ticket is like candy floss in a fairground. lol

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Oct 2018 11:51 - 23 Oct 2018 11:52 #196973 by mickt
A further look at the patch that needed a weld revealed that the clown who did it managed to get his dog poo welds on the new plate, along with a length of mig wire, but none on the actual car metal! It was held in place with gunge! It was a previous "repair" by someone unknown before we bought it. It pulled off with my fingers. Underneath was a double skin in which the top layer had rusted through so that will be addressed when the weather permits. Beggars believe what people do or don't do in this case.
Last edit: 23 Oct 2018 11:52 by mickt.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds