BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny rust problem!

• Probablynotfrank
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Oct 2018 09:02 #196588 by Probablynotfrank
Jimny rust problem! was created by Probablynotfrank
My Jimny is rusty (not really shocking) and I'm kind of curious at what point do you just say its too much? It's an 06 and every body mount has turned to rot, boot floor is full of holes and I'm considering that it might be time to put a new body on it, has anyone done this? Is it a viable option?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Oct 2018 17:51 #196600 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny rust problem!
It depends on how capable you are with a welder. If you're paying to get it done then it very rapidly becomes prohibitively expensive compared to the value of the car. It's definitely a case by case basis there isn't simple answer.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Oct 2018 18:19 #196602 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Jimny rust problem!
Any photos so we can see and advise as to how bad and possible fixes?

More
09 Oct 2018 21:07 #196610 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Jimny rust problem!

Probablynotfrank wrote: My Jimny is rusty (not really shocking) and I'm kind of curious at what point do you just say its too much?

Generally speaking I judge from my experience when enough is enough but if you are feeling this way I'd say it is over with it.

My father used to say you can deal with mechanical problems but rust is a way too difficult; even so he would do what was needed rustwise.

As has been said it is a question of your skills and also time and especially money.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Probablynotfrank
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2018 17:32 #196638 by Probablynotfrank
Replied by Probablynotfrank on topic Jimny rust problem!
that's the front drivers side ones and passengers the same, I'm more concerned about body mounts than patching it
Attachments:

More
11 Oct 2018 09:39 - 11 Oct 2018 09:40 #196655 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Jimny rust problem!
Having just spent the best part of two weeks treating the surface rust under my Jimny, your photo has made this work worth the effort. On paper my Jimny is only 3 years away from what you have, so hopefully I have stopped this.

Worryingly after spending two weeks under my Jimny I have no idea which body mount we are looking at in your photo, it has rotted away so much I cant identify it. So if you say they are all like this then its not good news. Normally once you start chopping at rot for a repair it is twice as bad as what you can see. The fact you are asking also suggests you don't have the equipment / experience to tackle these repairs, forgive me it this assumption is incorrect. So paying someone to repair it is possibly going to exceed the value of the vehicle, so it may be cheaper to try and find a better replacement body or a better vehicle. Replacement bodies do appear from time to time, but you need to factor in transport, equipment to lift it onto your chassis, condition of your chassis and time to swap interior etc.

Its difficult from one photo to make an accurate assessment of the rot situation, so please seek a second opinion. Even taking it to a garage and asking "how much" is a start or seek a local welder and ask the same question. The photo may be making the situation look worse than it is, but it looks bad from my armchair.

Just out of curiosity which mount is it and is the chassis rotten also?

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 11 Oct 2018 09:40 by Scimike.

More
11 Oct 2018 10:18 #196657 by helijohn

Probablynotfrank wrote: that's the front drivers side ones and passengers the same, I'm more concerned about body mounts than patching it

Oh dear........that looks like bad news. In my eyes if all mounts are like that then it is the end.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2018 11:10 #196660 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Jimny rust problem!
Crikey that's a mess! Hiring a welder to do it would well be more than the car is worth. And to do it properly would require the body separated from the chassis, in my opinion, anyway. Also good fabrication and welding skills is another must. But if you have the facilities, time and skills doing it yourself would not be expensive after you have bought the steel sheet. As for the boot, the forum shop can supply complete floor panels too. More photos of the other mounts and the boot floor would be good for a finite recommendation of the car.

More
11 Oct 2018 11:17 - 11 Oct 2018 11:20 #196661 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Jimny rust problem!
Simply amazed by how the jimnys rust in your country.
Guess we are lucky to get better protection put on them when new on import.

edit: I have recycled 3-4 SJ's way better looking than this.. Due to the rust.
Stripped them for the parts to sell and to come alive on better projects.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2018 11:20 by yakuza. Reason: add info

• NicBe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2018 22:00 #196680 by NicBe
Replied by NicBe on topic Jimny rust problem!
Hi, I have just replaced my front panel due to rust in the same places, panel available from Suzuki and fits like a glove, remove front wings and bumper, remove front body mount bolts,(probably need to replace these), drill out spot welds, spot weld panel on, no need to jack body or worry about the body moving as the middle mounts hold it on.

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/7-jimny...nd-front-body-mounts

• Probablynotfrank
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Nov 2018 00:01 #197512 by Probablynotfrank
Replied by Probablynotfrank on topic Jimny rust problem!
This is what I've done, decided to have at it with the help of some friends!

Removed this 'patch' from it.....

More
09 Nov 2018 00:09 #197513 by helijohn

Probablynotfrank wrote: This is what I've done,

Good job.
It is such a shame when floors have not lasted.

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds