BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Extra idler wheel for alternator to stop belt squeal

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2018 14:57 #196205 by OlaGB
After changing to a big 145A alternator, my belt now squeals at startup..
I know, known issue even on stock alternator, allthough mine didnt before i changed Alt., and i have thoughts about improving and hopefully make the belt stop slipping..
Slipping at startup only tells me that the belt is slipping at high load, and probably also will do that while winching.

I want to add a extra idler wheel underneeth the alternator, between the Alt and the main pulley, to make the belt cling onto the alternator pulley longer / more degrees.

Has anyone done this allready, and could provide info on parts i could use perhaps?

I`m running a standard size alternator and pulley, it`s only internal upgraded to give more amps. (Bought from Ebay).
New belt, new main pulley, all clean, all tensioned up etc etc, this is not a n00b issue, i just want to upgrade it :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
22 Sep 2018 17:37 #196208 by Riccy
try a bit of belt prep spray, works wonders that stuff ;-)

Agreed as a long term solution you need something better. Is there any spare threaded holes on the engine block that could be used to attach a bracket in that area? I have the old 1.3 vvt in the garage that I could have a look at tomorrow for you.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2018 19:10 #196211 by mickt
Which engine is in the car? The m13a suffer from crankshaft pulley failures and squealing belts can be a indication of this, especially as you have put more strain on the system.

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2018 19:31 #196213 by OlaGB

Riccy wrote: try a bit of belt prep spray, works wonders that stuff ;-)

Agreed as a long term solution you need something better. Is there any spare threaded holes on the engine block that could be used to attach a bracket in that area? I have the old 1.3 vvt in the garage that I could have a look at tomorrow for you.

My first plan is to use one of the bracket bolts for the alternator, or even the main alternator bolt.. But i might have to weld up something , not sure.. Was just hoping for somebody else to have a similar solution, as it takes time to be first!

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2018 19:39 #196214 by OlaGB

mickt wrote: Which engine is in the car? The m13a suffer from crankshaft pulley failures and squealing belts can be a indication of this, especially as you have put more strain on the system.

M16 swift sport.. Brand new stock crank pulley and belts.
Only makes a noise at startup unless i switch off my lights first, which tells me it has to be slipping on the alternator pulley.

I dont expect it to work 100% with a stock setup as ive doubled the alternator size, hence the reason i look for a way to upgrade it even more..
And i believe a second idler wheel would upgrade this properly with more grip to the pulley.

More
23 Sep 2018 02:39 - 23 Sep 2018 02:42 #196220 by zukebob
I'm interested in which alternator you installed. Was it one of the Jimny specific ebay aftermarket ones? I am tempted to try one but was worried about the physical size.

I'll be following this to see if you solve the squealing problem.

Edit: Sorry. Just read the last part of your original post.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 23 Sep 2018 02:42 by zukebob.

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Sep 2018 03:59 #196221 by OlaGB
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationYup, i believe this is the one i bought :

More
23 Sep 2018 04:35 #196222 by zukebob
Thanks. That is the one I was looking at. I'm honestly surprised that it didn't grow at least a noticeable amount in size. As I mentioned, I will be following this with a high level of interest. I will also probably annoy you several months down the road to get some feedback.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Sep 2018 06:22 #196223 by TomDK
Yes it is a bit odd really.
My buddy has a 120A alternator from a land cruiser in his Jimny. And it's much bigger than standard.

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Sep 2018 09:18 #196224 by OlaGB
Yeah, i'm pretty sure we are not looking at 145A capasity, based on both price and size, but i can see an improvement on my volt's while winching.

I can ask them now that ive bought it, and used it for a while, if they can provide a more reliable number..

More
05 Oct 2018 06:30 #196510 by zukebob
OlaGB. I apologize if it seems like I am using you as a test subject (unfortunately I really am to some degree) but wanted to see if you have had an opportunity to contact the alternator vendor. If they confirm that 145 amps is the rated capacity, I would really like to get some feedback if you have any buildup of heat with the alternator.

Thanks
Bob

More
06 Oct 2018 09:28 #196528 by facade
It will depend on how they test it.

The standard alternator has a nominal output of 65A @ 13.5V

The Lucas replacement I fitted is rated at 85A (with no provisos, for all I know that is into a dead short).

They should be tested and rated to SAE J 56, which defines the max output as what it gives @ 6000 (alternator) RPM.

It ought to be labelled something like 30/85/13.5 which is idle output/6000RPM output/test voltage.

None of them can give the maximum output for more than a couple of minutes without additional cooling though, they are not designed for it.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: zukebob

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds