BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

VVT missfire

• Mazz1957
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2018 15:01 #196178 by Mazz1957
VVT missfire was created by Mazz1957
Hiya all.
My '05, VVT Jimny has a misfire when in high gear at lowish speeds. I Changed the plugs when I serviced it a few weeks ago. Plug leads and coil packs perhaps?
Thanks in anticipation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Sep 2018 15:42 #196184 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic VVT missfire
You did correctly torque the plugs when you changed them? Mine had a bit of a moment around 2k rpm after the first service at the dealer and I found that was because all the plugs were finger tight.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Sep 2018 16:58 #196189 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic VVT missfire
Also did you change the plugs to cure this problem?
If the problem did not exist before you fitted the plugs after checking the torque ^^^^, if you still have them, fit the old plugs back in.
If you still have the problem with the old plugs then it's something you disturbed, as you say HT, coil packs or connections.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Mazz1957
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2018 18:01 #196192 by Mazz1957
Replied by Mazz1957 on topic VVT missfire
Hiya. Yep. The misfire was there before I did the plugs. I nipped them up tight and all went together ok. I was suspecting leads/ coil packs. I'll have to buy myself an OBD2 tester.
Thanks for your input.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2018 19:47 #196194 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic VVT missfire
An ODD tester will not help really. It will confirm a misfire but will not be able to tell 100% the culprit. Have a look at the new plugs and see if there is any difference in the electrode as far as colours go. They should all be the same if they are all firing all the time. Once you have ascertained which plug then you can trace the culprit powering it.

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2018 19:06 #196210 by jim
Replied by jim on topic VVT missfire
My guess with these issues is usually on the ignition coils. I think as they sit on top of the engine the heat eventually gets them. I had to do my 2007 jimny coils it fixed the hiccup.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds