Search (23 Feb 2018)

A trial enhanced search facility has been enabled. Please use the Google Custom Search above.

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Transfer box options

More
08 Sep 2018 10:33 #195792 by sniper
Transfer box options was created by sniper
My push button transfer box is refusing to go into 4L, it goes into 4H and as far as I can tell, all is ok.

Whilst in 4H, on pressing the 4L button with the car in neutral and the clutch depressed, I can hear the transfer box try to engage but I just get a continually flashing 4L light and a matching beep. This eventually times out and the indicators go back to 4H.

Jackonlyjack popped round and we changed the oil as I feared it had been flooded, all was clear and good. wiring looked ok.

Do I spend money getting a transmission shop to sort it or should I swap to an earlier stick shift transfer box ?

What is needed to fit ?

Your advice/suggestions would be gratefully received.......

sniper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2018 12:04 #195795 by HUN
Replied by HUN on topic Transfer box options
Hi sniper,

I think if you change to lever operated transfer box you would have to change your gearbox also. Unless there is a special part (I'm not aware of) wich mates the old transferbox with new gearbox? Others might confirm my theory.

Regards, Gabor

TrailMaster 2" suspension lift kit
Flo-Flex castor corrected polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
Dotz Dakar wheels
AVM manual hubs
Jimnybits all types of guards
Defender 1 steering damper
Pumpkin 6.2" Android & TomTom Go
MAD Individual seat cover
ORA radius arm chassiss mount guards
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
08 Sep 2018 12:54 #195796 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Transfer box options
Hi Sniper mate if you choose this route I have the low mileage transfer out of R&B also got a couple of intermediate props

Jack

More
08 Sep 2018 16:50 #195800 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Transfer box options

sniper wrote: My push button transfer box is refusing to go into 4L, it goes into 4H and as far as I can tell, all is ok.

Whilst in 4H, on pressing the 4L button with the car in neutral and the clutch depressed, I can hear the transfer box try to engage but I just get a continually flashing 4L light and a matching beep. This eventually times out and the indicators go back to 4H.

Jackonlyjack popped round and we changed the oil as I feared it had been flooded, all was clear and good. wiring looked ok.

Do I spend money getting a transmission shop to sort it or should I swap to an earlier stick shift transfer box ?

What is needed to fit ?

Your advice/suggestions would be gratefully received.......

sniper

I believe the pushbutton box has stronger chain in it, than the stick type. And the gear ratio are different, so a stick transfer change would be best to combine with a older gearbox as well. Consider youre diff ratio too..

Most likely youre issue is either the shift motor or even more likely, a position sensor (4wd low switch). Shouldnt be to hard to troubleshoot.

Check this out:
www.trail-gear.com/PDF/304505-3-INS.pdf

Moderators: funkyjimnyooky_123
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds