BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Misfire issue

• CJV8
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2018 15:17 #195260 by CJV8
Misfire issue was created by CJV8
Had an issue with my 56 plate Jimny the other week, halfway home from work and it started stuttering and misfiring, then shortly after the EWL came on. Checked the codes when I got home and there were 5 of them, a general misfire code, and then one for each of the cylinders. Inspection showed that the spark plug in the second from the front cylinder (No.2?) had no electrode left, and was quite loose in the head. New plugs fitted and it fired up fine, but took it out for a run today and the misfire came back, though not as severe. Did a bit more investigation this afternoon and all the plugs are fine, but with the engine running there's a regular squeak / whistle from the top of the engine, making me think there's a gas leak somewhere. Any thoughts as to what could be leaking? Hopefully not a cracked head.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
19 Aug 2018 15:26 #195262 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Misfire issue
Coilpacks perhaps?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2018 16:07 #195268 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Misfire issue
Did you use a torque wrench to fit the plugs set to the correct torque figure?

More
19 Aug 2018 16:33 #195270 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Misfire issue

Riccy wrote: Coilpacks perhaps?

Yes, running a plug until there is no electrode left often kills the coilpack, the voltage rises until some insulator breaks down. You might be hearing a spark inside the coilpack.

On a Ford Ka when a coilpack goes it often damages the ecu for good measure too.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
20 Aug 2018 16:53 #195293 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Misfire issue
i had a coilpack go. it was intermittent connected to engine temperature.
More misfiring with a warm motor.

I bought a cheap new coil off ebay less than half the price of an original one, but as facade says it might burn your ECU.
So I am not sure i would recommend it..
When insulation inside the coil breaks down it might fire back into the ECU.
Would be smart to change the broken one asap i guess.
"Epray" coil has been working great for me though.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds