BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Shock Length Measurements

• zukebob
  • zukebob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
13 Aug 2018 07:29 #195072 by zukebob
Several days ago I (very accidentally) stumbled on some Jimny information regarding the dimensions of the front and rear shock under fully compressed and fully extended conditions. They were measured from the center of the eye to the top of the shock mount in the front and eye to eye in the rear
They were listed as follows:

Sway bar in:
Front 330mm compressed (13 inches) and 395mm extended (15.55 inches)
Rear 350mm compressed (13.78 inches) and 435mm extended (17.13 inches). Compressed length was hard on the bumpstop.

Sway bar out:
Front 312mm compressed (12.28 inches) and 425mm extended (16.73 inches). Compressed length was hard on the bumpstop.
Rear 350mm compressed (13.78 inches) and 455mm extended (17.91 inches)

With sway bar still out, the front shock on the extended side was removed and the mounting was measured. The extended length increased to 455mm (17.91 inches). The final result was that the minimum and maximum mounting dimensions for the shocks were:

Front: 312mm (12.28 inches) and 455mm (17.91 inches) hard on bumpstop at compression.
Rear: 350mm (13.78 inches and 455 (17.91 inches) hard on bumpstop at compression.

Now, after all of that rambling information, I was wondering if anyone could confirm these measurements.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2018 09:02 #195073 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Shock Length Measurements
Very useful information, thank you. Especially useful for those fitting longer shocks, shock extenders etc and not wanting to damage the shock mounts!

• zukebob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
13 Aug 2018 09:45 #195077 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Shock Length Measurements
Thank you Busta. I was thinking the same thing about people preparing to do suspension mods. I wish I had this information before I went the trial and error approach. The good thing is that the Jimny used was bone stock. Since the compressed dimensions were taken while on the bumpstops, I'm confident they can be accepted as written. I just wish the rest could be confirmed.

More
13 Aug 2018 17:18 #195094 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Shock Length Measurements
How can the front compressed lengths differ (with and without the sway bar) if they were measured hard against the bump stop? :dry:

I understand there can be some resistance to upward articulation with the sway bar in place but not if the two measurements are made "hard against the bump stop" ?

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2018 18:23 #195097 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Shock Length Measurements
Only explanation would be that those measurements were made with only one wheel lifted off the ground. That way, with swaybar attached lifting one wheel also affect the other wheel probably so the bump stops are not compressed the same, with and without swaybar, are some of the axle load is transferred through the swaybar to the opposite wheel.

Hopes this makes sense. Because, swaybar or not. You only have so much shock travel.

• zukebob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
14 Aug 2018 00:33 #195104 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Shock Length Measurements
They aren't different Dave. The only thing that should be different is how I format the information so that it is less confusing (simpler) to read.

With sway bar in:
Front: 330mm - 395mm
Rear: 350mm - 435mm (compressed on bumpstop)

With sway bar out:
Front: 312mm - 425mm (compressed on bumpstop)
Rear: 350mm - 455mm (compressed on bumpstop)

With sway bar out and extended side shock removed:
Front: 312mm - 455mm (compressed on bumpstop)
Rear: 350mm - 455mm (compressed on bumpstop)

I think that's better.

The setup that he did for measuring simulated one side being at full possible compression while the opposite side was at full possible extension. As I mentioned in the original post, the compressed on bumpstop measurements should be able to be accepted at face value. The rest I think would be good guidance but it would be nice if they can ultimately be confirmed.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds