BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear shock mount issues

More
08 Aug 2018 17:25 #194917 by minibbb
Afternoon folks

The rear lower bush had gone on one of my rear shocks and having purchased two new bushes it went into the garage today to have them done.

On one side the bolt snapped. The mechanic told me he fitted a bolt into the hole and welded it in. He said to change the shock in the future you would need to disconnect the panhard arm.

I am not mechanical whatsoever but on looking o can't see how you'd actually be able to do this and also can't see how he managed to weld the bolt in with the shock in place? I'm not convinced it'll be a v strong fix. Also the shock is now touching the spring which suggests the shock mount is now shorter than it was before?

I've attached some pics and would be grateful if someone could give me their thoughts!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2018 18:11 #194918 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Rear shock mount issues
Welding does not look too good in that picture. It must be removable otherwise how did he get it on? Try undoing the nut and if it allows the damper to come off try getting the bolt welded better and also fit a washer so that the rubber of the mount seats against it and also help it to clear the spring.

More
08 Aug 2018 18:36 #194919 by minibbb
Replied by minibbb on topic Rear shock mount issues
Thanks Mick. God knows what he's done! He specifically said about removing the panhard arm to remove it yet this wouldn't make any difference?!

Tempted to take it elsewhere and have the boot drilled out and a long bolt through the whole lot. Shame he has shortened the bracket now though.

More
08 Aug 2018 19:09 - 08 Aug 2018 21:23 #194920 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Rear shock mount issues
As the original bolt has snapped (maybe the threaded section is still inside the mount?) he has cut the head off a bolt and put it in backwards into the mount(ing tube) and then spattered some weld round it.

To get the shock off (he is right) you’d now have to get the Panhard Rod out of the way to be able to slip the bottom mount of the shock off the new welded-in mount...

IF the threaded part of the original bolt has snapped off inside the mount that is about all he could have done? It’ll be a helluva job to drill through if the end of the bolt is still in there?

A few washers on the new bolt mount next to that weld should space it out a bit?
Last edit: 08 Aug 2018 21:23 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: minibbb

More
08 Aug 2018 20:53 #194922 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic Rear shock mount issues
The person who did that should not be classed as a mechanic. He, She, They should of removed the broken stud and replaced with a new bolt.
Not a difficult job in a fully equiped workshop, Or a poorly equiped back street garage. If that was not possible, you should of been contacted and informed of the problem, And asked if you were happy for them to do that third world bodge.

It's been fettled just a tad.

More
08 Aug 2018 21:33 #194923 by minibbb
Thanks chaps.

Jezz it's a small one man band who is usually very good- he did my engine swap with zero issues so normally is fine. I guess he just couldn't remove the broken stud?!

S200KYS- thanks mate that explanation makes perfect sense now. There is some thread left on the bolt so hopefully space for a washer. Just hope it's strong enough to stand up to some off reading.

Guessing if it fails I have it drilled through? Am im right in thinking he's removed some of the mount housing which is why the shock is now touching the spring. I would have though a new mount could be welded on though- it's basically just a threaded tube?
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
08 Aug 2018 21:58 #194924 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Rear shock mount issues
It's difficult to tell from photos whether the mounting tube has been shortened?

Here's mine -

Best way is I'll take a photo of mine with a tape measure next to it in the morning...

You can see how on my custom shock repositioners though how the mounting hole is spaced back so that the shock sits between the spring and the panhard rod...
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Aug 2018 04:24 #194927 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Rear shock mount issues
If the bolt sheared off on the mount then some heat and a left hand twist drill would have solved it in a few. To get that off now I'd be tempted to undo the damper at the top an rotate it down past the axle and then off the thread. I would definitely be sorting it out though because in the pictures I wouldn't put that welding against a speed bump never mind a pothole or green lane.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2018 10:44 #194943 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Rear shock mount issues
Worst scenario is a replacement axle casing!

More
10 Aug 2018 09:08 #194967 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Rear shock mount issues
Drill from the other side all the way through the mount and use a long bolt with some washers to space the shock away from the spring.

More
10 Aug 2018 10:03 #194972 by minibbb
Thanks chaps

I hope it's not a new axle!! I can't see why I can't get it drilled through if all else fails.

I'll take it to a different garage and see what he thinks- he may be able to remove the new bolt and get the remains of the old one out.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Aug 2018 10:46 #194977 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Rear shock mount issues
An new axle? Why even consider that?

Worst case if the mount breaks or isnt straight is to have something new made. Shouldn't take long with a grinder and welder.

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds