BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Installing the front fog lamp switch in the cabin

More
19 Jul 2018 16:26 - 19 Jul 2018 16:29 #194471 by Bosanek
I want to install genuine front fog lamps in my Jimny, and I have to install the front fog lamp switch in the cabin as the part of that process.

I have ordered a genuine second hand front fog lamp in cabin switch taken from a Grand Vitara (the switch should be the same) and it's on its way.

Now the question is how remove the dummy blank from the dash board which is currently in the place of the switch? I do not want to damage the dash board with some harsh removal attempts involving screwdrivers or knives etc.

The blank which I need to remove the middle one in this switch cluster in the picture:

Should the required wiring (cables and connector) already be inside after I remove the blank? The vehicle was made in 2012.

Also, how to install the switch - do I just press it inside and it will "clip"?
Last edit: 19 Jul 2018 16:29 by Bosanek. Reason: Link correction

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2018 17:22 #194472 by Daniel30
I would put some insulation tape along the bottom and then slide a flat blunt knife in and prise it up gently it must pop outwards? Or get some plastic interior removal tools from flea Bay normally get a pack of four cheap

More
19 Jul 2018 22:53 #194487 by helijohn

Daniel30 wrote: I would put some insulation tape along the bottom and then slide a flat blunt knife in and prise it up gently it must pop outwards? Or get some plastic interior removal tools from flea Bay normally get a pack of four cheap

I have half a wooden peg which I ground the end to a chisel sharpness that I use.........as well as various "special" tools.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
20 Jul 2018 06:53 #194492 by Bosanek
So I just need to prise off this plastic blanking between these two swithces using some plastic or wooden tools?

No need to remove the frame around this switch cluster or touch the remaining two switches?

I suppose that the connector with the wires should be accessible after I remove the blanking?

After connecting the new switch, I just push it in the hole until it snaps into place?

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2018 10:44 #194500 by Daniel30
Yes that's how I would look at it. :)

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2018 11:53 #194503 by MadsV
Can anyone confirm that the connectors are behind there?

More
20 Jul 2018 18:38 #194509 by helijohn

Bosanek wrote: So I just need to prise off this plastic blanking between these two swithces using some plastic or wooden tools?

Just thinking out loud but it looks like the three come as a unit. I'd get an endoscope up there for a looksee.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
21 Jul 2018 13:08 #194526 by Basketcase
They just pop out clip at top and one at bottom just prize it out one end or the other and it pulls out easily as for the wiring I don’t know if it’s there or not

More
06 Sep 2018 13:50 - 06 Sep 2018 13:53 #195741 by Bosanek
I managed to remove this quite easily.

First the entire switch cluster has to be removed, and it's easy to prise off with some plastic trim removal tools. Don't use sharp metal tools.

Then the connectors to the existing switches need to be disconnected, so that the switch cluster can be fully removed. That's easy too.

Now the blank switch can easily be dislodged from behind from the switch cluster.

After that just pop in the new switch in the empty space.

If the connector and the wiring for the front fog lamps is already there, just connect it to the new switch.

Connect back the other (old) switches.

Pop the entire switch cluster back into place.

Job in cabin done.

Note:
My 2012 Jimny already had the connector plugged in the blank and the connector is wired.
When I plugged the new front fog lamp switch into that connector, the switch lights up when I press it. Therefore the connector and wires probably belong to the front fog lamp el. circuit, but I will know that for certain only when I disassemble the front inner wheel arch and access the area behind the front bumper.

I hope that the front fog lamp wiring is already there behind the front bumper, so that I will simply need to connect the new front fog lamps to it.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2018 13:53 by Bosanek. Reason: Better explanation

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds