BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Exhaust Knocking?

• RedRhino
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2018 20:17 #194034 by RedRhino
Exhaust Knocking? was created by RedRhino
Hi Folks,
First post on here so ill keep things to the point. About a week ago the exhaust link pipe inbetween the cat and the backbox completley snapped in half. Took it down to the local garage to get it replaced the same day, (normally somthing I would do myself but I needed it running). Anyways after it being replaced the engine is making a knocking noise, seems to only be on one cylinder but I can't tell for sure the lads who replaced the exhaust were certainly a bit rough with her as the nuts were seriously rusted on. Just wondered if anyone knows the likely contender is; manifold gasket? kinda sounds like the tappets need adjusting but I dont want the be taking off the cylinder head without being sure.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Jul 2018 05:23 #194042 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Exhaust Knocking?
As it wasn't doing it before the garage touching it then it's on them to identify and rectify. Workmanship warranty and all that.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Jul 2018 10:42 #194044 by 1390_taz
Replied by 1390_taz on topic Exhaust Knocking?
Welcome to the forum
I would second that of "Lambert" if it was'nt knocking before you took it to the garage, take it back
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• RedRhino
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2018 10:47 #194045 by RedRhino
Replied by RedRhino on topic Exhaust Knocking?
You make a good point Lambert, think I will return it when I get the time. The lads at the garage are pretty understanding so I hope they'll be able to sort it. Just can't work out if it is a coincidence or not.
Cheers

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jul 2018 13:16 #194089 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Exhaust Knocking?
The exhaust system consists of the front downpipe with flex and cat followed by a pipe that links that to the back box. The second pipe goes over the rear axle.That pipe is flanged front and rear so it is a simple matter of removing four bolts and unclipping the rubbers. Of course the bolts can be seized but with a little bit of common sense they can be got off without too much fretting. I had to take off the front pipe which is held on the car the same way and the back bolts were a challenge but came off eventually. I was having to lie under the car for access as well. I assume the garage had it on a ramp lift so it should have been straight forward. By the way the nuts are part of the flange so the bolts are what are removed. So unless it was the downpipe that was removed they were only removing plumbing and so that should not have affected the engine. If it was the front pipe then they would have had to disconnect the post cat sensor.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds