BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fitting ATB differential - Full rebuild ?

More
05 Jul 2018 10:25 #193999 by sniper
Some advice please, I am fitting an ATB diff soon, would a full axle rebuild be best advised, the axle has presented no problems and is at 65k.

I'm hoping that the consensus is to just swap the ring gear over and throw it in......

sniper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jul 2018 12:25 #194004 by Lambert
Mine is on 80k ish and totally fine. If you have any doubts about it then now would be the time to inspect and replace but it shouldn't need routine things. It's not a land rover after all.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
05 Jul 2018 13:28 #194012 by X8GGY
Are you asking if the diff will need rebuilding?

The ATB is the actual crown wheel carrier isn't it? As such, then yes, someone with the necessary skills / experience would need to set it up so that the crown wheel sits in the right spot in relation to the pinion...

When we 'just' fit a Lockright / Detroit sort of locker it's a matter of taking the diff to pieces carefully laying each part down and labelling where it came from so that we can get inside the carrier to swap the gears for the locking plates, and then very carefully reassemble everything and hopefully it all goes back to where it was and nothing is disturbed, so the competent home mechanic can usually do it themselves...

With an ATB the side bearings on the original carrier would have to be swapped over and the whole lot set up again properly...?

HTH
Dave

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jul 2018 19:12 #194027 by Lambert
There are plenty of how to guides for depthing and backlash adjustment of diffs available and honestly I shouldn't expect a genuine quaife diff to be more than a fraction of a millimetre off stock anyway so with a new quality set of side bearings I wouldn't really see much need to disturb the pinion anyway. That said though if you don't feel comfortable a gearbox shop shouldn't have any difficulty doing it for you then you just have it to bolt back into the axle.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 Jul 2018 20:56 #194106 by Keithy
Is an ATB the same as an ARB?

The carriers on mine required quite some adjustment of the side bearings to get the engagement correct.

All good fun if you're Au fait with gears.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 Jul 2018 21:26 #194111 by Riccy
No its more like a kaiser to install, much easier than an ARB, no airline for a start! Backlash much less critical, etc.

Swap the ring gear on to it. Backlash setting should be measured before and after. the workshop manual has pretty good info on setting it up. There is no need to touch the pinion shaft/bearings at all.

re-use the bearings (unless suspected damaged or mega mileage), as they match the wear rate to the gears and the pinion shaft bearings.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds