BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Requirements for Diesel Conversion

• Venter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2018 20:03 - 14 Jun 2018 20:05 #193463 by Venter
Requirements for Diesel Conversion was created by Venter
My R72 gearbox is on its way out, and given the cost of replacing or refurbishing one I've been thinking it's an opportunity to get a diesel conversion done for (hopefully) less money.

I've managed to source a mk4 astra 1.7 cdti engine and gearbox with 104k on it for £100 (I gather that this is the Isuzu lump). Besides having to fab mounts, does anyone know what else will need to be done for the conversion? This will be beyond my skills so will be getting a garage to do it, so I'd like to get as accurate a task list and quote as possible beforehand so I can compare it to cost of sorting the R72 gearbox.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2018 20:05 by Venter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2018 20:10 #193464 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Re:Requirements for Diesel Conversion
The first thing i come to think of is ECU and ignition switch, how will all work together. Its probably possible but if a garage is to work all this out it will be expensive in the end

• Venter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2018 07:03 #193517 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Re:Requirements for Diesel Conversion
Ok thanks, will look into the ecu story. One of the Isuzu engines in this series is known to be really simple with no electronics, but suspect it might be an earlier one.

What about the exhaust? I'm guessing a new manifold or complete system would be needed, so that cost might need to be factored in.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
16 Jun 2018 07:33 #193518 by Riccy
You wouldnt be able to use the astra gearbox as its front wheel drive. Also work on the flywheel and bell housing may be needed for adapting it to a jimny gearbox. Some people use a carlton gearbox i think, which is meant for a rear wheel drive car.

Probs better off converting to R7me gearbox, stick t-box and 3.9 diffs and a nice M16 VVT engine will slot in much easier than a diesel. Works with existing wiring, ecu, fuel, exhaust, etc also

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Venter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2018 21:35 #193558 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Re:Requirements for Diesel Conversion
Thanks Riccy, forgot about astras being front wheel drive. Might eventually do the m16a upgrade, but first gotta sort this gbox bearing issue.

Gonna just get the existing box refurbed with the bearing set from ebay. I've just spent loads on a new gearset for my tbox, so money is tight.

Maybe if I find a diesel engine and gbox that's already been in a Jimny, I'll go for that. There's one on facebook for £650, but freight costs to northeast Scotland and then installation after that make it way too expensive.

More
07 Sep 2018 12:36 - 07 Sep 2018 12:38 #195764 by Bosanek
Wouldn't it be simpler and much more elegant just to import a factory diesel (DDiS) Jimny from continental Europe? France, Belgium and Germany have lots of them.

I suppose that there is a procedure which would allow you to import it and register it in UK.

Jimnys, especially diesel editions, are quite expensive in continental Europe, but a low mileage diesel one can serve you a lifetime if you treat it well. I had one for four years and traveled about 50 000 km with it. I still miss it in some regards.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2018 12:38 by Bosanek.

• Venter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Sep 2018 19:46 #195824 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Requirements for Diesel Conversion

Bosanek wrote: Wouldn't it be simpler and much more elegant just to import a factory diesel (DDiS) Jimny from continental Europe? France, Belgium and Germany have lots of them.

I suppose that there is a procedure which would allow you to import it and register it in UK.

Jimnys, especially diesel editions, are quite expensive in continental Europe, but a low mileage diesel one can serve you a lifetime if you treat it well. I had one for four years and traveled about 50 000 km with it. I still miss it in some regards.

Not a bad idea, I'll keep a lookout for one. If you see any engine and gearbox sets going that side, please let me know.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds