BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

AVM Locking wheel hubs

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 May 2018 07:13 #193047 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic AVM Locking wheel hubs
As you can see i don't have the collet things and mine are nominally 10mm deep to the machined face of the spline ring and another mm to the inside of the casting. It makes me think that your ones were in the wrong box.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kayjay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2018 07:41 #193049 by kayjay
Replied by kayjay on topic AVM Locking wheel hubs
zukebob, do your bolts look like those in Lambert's photos?

I can't thank you and Lambert enough.

• kayjay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2018 09:46 #193050 by kayjay
It seems that the bolts and locking cones are different. I don't think this alone explains the binding. This picture appears to show the point of binding and the depth to the inner rim:

And here are the dimensions measured with my digital verniers:

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 May 2018 11:12 #193054 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic AVM Locking wheel hubs
Do you have some transfer blue? If so put a little on the inside of the casting and fit and remove then you can see what is interfering in the hub assembly.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• kayjay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2018 20:57 #193071 by kayjay
No I don't have transfer blue but, although maybe not clear from the photo, the grease marks and the slight markings on the inner rim indicate that it;s binding at that point. In fact I can see no reason for having the rim at all. Also the collets are a mystery - have they changed the design of the AVM457 to replace the perfectly good lock washers with the collets. I have no faith in them as they start to crack up at 20ft/lb +. The manufacturers are in Brazil and do not appear to be contactable, an engineering drawing of the part is the only way to resolve it. I'm tempted to return them and give up.

More
31 May 2018 00:32 - 31 May 2018 01:13 #193076 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic AVM Locking wheel hubs
Lambert, you're a stud. I have to man-up now and finish pulling one of mine and see if I can understand the binding problem.

Kayjay: My fasteners are the same as yours, including the conical washers. My nephew is borrowing the Jimny to get his father back and forth to the hospital for a couple of days so I won't be able to pull the hub until then. As soon as I do, I will also measure mine, see if I can understand what your problem may be and get back to you.

Edit: Assuming you have the hub head off, measure the height of the vacuum seal from the hub head mounting surface. I will also compare that.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 31 May 2018 01:13 by zukebob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• kayjay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 May 2018 11:45 #193090 by kayjay
I will strip again at the weekend (Jimny back in use due to flooded roads) and check. I think that the design of the AVM457 must have changed at some point? Most sellers photos show spring washers (anyone know the correct name for those cone washer things and where can I get spares).

Attachments:

More
31 May 2018 13:49 - 31 May 2018 13:50 #193092 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic AVM Locking wheel hubs
I have seen these collets, coned insert, before. Used on some hubs i once dismantled from an SJ i think. I do not remember what brand those where. They should be just fine as long the hole you put them into is coned as well. And it looks like it on your pictures.
If the bolt holes are coned you must use them and should not replace them with ordinary washers.

It is possible to use SJ hubs on a jimny if you use spacers. Spacers for this can even be bought and will make more space where these seem to interfere on your car. Most likely you have SJ hubs there as all other measurements are the same.
This could just be a production or marking error in the factory.
Your supplier should replace them.

edit: I can measure my SJ hubs later today to see if they have 12mm inside to the interference spot, the same as yours.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 31 May 2018 13:50 by yakuza.

• kayjay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 May 2018 14:32 #193094 by kayjay
yakuza, The bolt holes on mine are coned but the collets seem to start failing at around 20ft/lbs +. They just don't seem up to the job, although yours are OK. I wonder if I could replace them with flat+spring washer combos. My supplier to be fair say that they are not engineers and they could only replace them with another that on the face of it would be the same.

Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
31 May 2018 17:28 #193101 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic AVM Locking wheel hubs
The cone washer things are called 'cone washers'. Any good engineering supplies place will be able to provide them. They are not usually made for high torque, so the 20ft/lbs is probably about correct. Having them in and out a few times wouldn't help.

I agree with Yakuza that it sounds like you have been sent ones for an SJ or a vitara, which means spacers would be needed to use those hubs.

Your supplier may be able to measure the replacements they have in stock to see if they are the same as your problem one?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• kayjay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 May 2018 17:54 - 31 May 2018 18:01 #193104 by kayjay
The supplied manual says "tighten to the specifications of the vehicle's manufacturer" which is 35ft/lbs

I googled 'cone washers' and nothing similar came up
Last edit: 31 May 2018 18:01 by kayjay.

More
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds